Subject: Use Proxy 305 (corrected)

From: "John C. Mallery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:22:10 -0400

RFC 2616 does not state whether a status code of 305 should include
an entity or not.

I am assuming that it SHOULD include an entity just like the other
3xx status codes except 304.

Is this a correct assumption?

---

From: sumanth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:11:59 -0400

In general all that is expected with a '305 Use Proxy'  response is a
proxy  name in the 'Location' field. Why would you want to return an
entity with the response?

Sumanth

---

From: "Joris Dobbelsteen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:25:26 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: John C. Mallery [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: vrijdag 25 augustus 2000 21:22
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Use Proxy 305 (corrected)
>
>

You missed a part. 305 (Use Proxy) MUST include a location header pointing
to the proxy to be used using a URI.

> 3xx status codes except 304.

304 MUST include the date header.
Or, if clock-less, it MUST include:
	ETag and/or Content-Location
	Expires, Cache-Control, and/or Vary

> Is this a correct assumption?

You'd better read RFC2616 once again, and you see that you make the
incorrect assumptions.

An other possibility is that you mixed the body and entity. Entity
represents the headers and the body the actual data (e.g. HTML document).

The body is not needed, but may be included. Here is no information about.
MS-IIS send a body with a e.g. 301 response. Other servers may not do
this...

- Joris

---

From: [email-masked] (Koen Holtman)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:51:21 +0200 (MET DST)

>Is this a correct assumption?

The spec is silent on the issue of sending entity bodies with a 305.
I don't recall whether it is silent on purpose -- probably not.
Whether your assumption above is correct depends a bit on whether you
are writing client or server software.

1) if you are writing a client that gets 305 responses, you cannot
assume anything about an entity body being present, so you must be
prepared to handle either case.

2) if you are writing a server that sends 305 responses, the most
sensible thing to do, in my opinion, is to include a short HTML entity
body with human-readable instructions about using a proxy.

Koen.