Subject: Host header and URL

From: "Joris Dobbelsteen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:50:21 +0200

Something I was wondering about, does HTTP/1.1 allow this:

You send to a HTTP/1.1 proxy/gateway:

GET http://www.you.com/ HTTP/1.1
host: gateway.me.com

were the intension is to get www.you.com through gateway.me.com

gateway.me.com can be e.g. a caching proxy server or gateway...

Is this actually possible HTTP/1.1-compliant???
(however I don't expect proxies to support this)

- Joris

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:10:45 -0400

> From: Joris Dobbelsteen

> Is this actually possible HTTP/1.1-compliant???

No - the Host header value designates the origin server, not a
gateway; if you send a full URL in the request line, then the two
hosts should match.

--
Scott Lawrence         Architect             <[email-masked]>
Virata             http://www.virata.com/         http://emweb.com/