Subject: More On Persistent Connections...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:47:31 -0500

In the satellite industry we are highly motivated
from a response time standpoint to having persistent connections
and pipelining work.

     To what extent will the use of a proxy server enable
persistent connections between the browser and the proxy server?
I'm assuming that the proxy would be more configurable to keep
the connections alive.

     I bet there are issues regarding transparent and
non-transparent connections.

     Also, how about HTTPS:? There's an even bigger
reason to maintain persistent connections here in both CPU
expense of openning a connection and response time (extra
handshakes).

     Do proxies help with HTTPS and persistent connections?

     Are web servers more or less likely to support persistent
connections with HTTPS?

     I could give my thoughts on this in more detail, but
would be interested to see if anyone is interested in kicking these
items around.

     Doug..............