Subject: Http Tunneling

From: Yogesh Bang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 19:08:13 +0530

Hi There,

While going through technical jargons, I came across this term
'Http-Tunneling'. It is said that using this,it is possible to 
send data of any protocol through proxy over HTTP.Can any one tell me how
this
can be achieved? any sample code will provide good idea or send me the urls
where 
I can get the basics of http-tunneling.

Is it possible to tunnel complex protocols which are used by 'Microsoft
Netmeeting',
or AIM etc?

Thanks in advance!!!

yog

---

From: "Joris Dobbelsteen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:50:01 +0200

HTTP Tunneling is designed for Secure HTTP (HTTPS). A HTTP tunneling is a
method of going through a proxy server, without the proxy server itself
handling any data transmitted.
A tunnel can be established with the connect method:

CONNECT <host>:<port> HTTP/1.1 <CRLF>
<CRLF>

If the HTTP return code is 200 (OK), a connection is established. Now any
data transmitted is directly forwarded (by the proxy server) to the
end-point.

Take note that most proxy server will only allow tunnels to port 443
(HTTPS), due to security restrictions. So they're not usable for anything
else than HTTPS. Some proxy servers (like the ISA server) can be configured
to interfrere with the data on the tunnel.
Contact the Proxy manual of admin.

- Joris

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Yogesh Bang [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Sunday, 26 August 2001 3:38
>To: [email-masked]'
>Subject: Http Tunneling
>
>
>Hi There,
>