Subject: Proxy

From: "Ajay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:04:55 +0530

hi 
    i m writing a small webserver. i just want to know that when the client connects to the webserver through proxy
th webserver gets the  proxy ip. is there any way by which i can get the actual client ip.

Ajay

***************************************************************
MicroWorld Software Services Pvt Ltd (MSSPL)
Web :       http://www.mspl.net
E-Mail :    [email-masked]
Phones    : +91-22-826 5701 to 826 5705/35/36/39/40
Fax       : +91-22-830 4750

MailScan  : Content Security for your EMail Servers and Gateways
eScan     : Content Security for your Workstations and File-Servers

eScan & MailScan are the world's first "real-time" Content-Security
and  Virus  Scanner products, using the  MicroWorld Winsock Layer 
(MWL) Technology.
***************************************************************

---

From: Peter W <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:20:43 -0400

> th webserver gets the  proxy ip. is there any way by which i can get the actual client ip.

Some HTTP proxies will provide aditional request headers to indicate the
originating IP address (e.g., squid's forwarded_for directive) but such
information is rare, optional, and cannot be trusted (unless you control 
the proxy server that is adding the request header). Even when the 
information can be trusted, it often refers to unroutable address space.

-Peter

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:26:35 +0200

>th webserver gets the  proxy ip. is there any way by which i can get the actual client ip.

No reliable one.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann { mailto:[email-masked] } http://www.bjoernsworld.de
am Badedeich 7 } Telefon: +49(0)4667/981028 { http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
25899 Dagebüll { PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 } http://www.learn.to/quote/