Subject: RE: handling Proxy-Connection

From: "Matt Lynch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:06:13 +1100

Apologies.. I have read a few sources, which showed the values as
constant.  I've a few documents from different sources, which all listed
the same field values.  

>No, it can't.  That is why it should never be implemented.  

We've got a proxy server on this network which uses the header
substantially.

Does this mean that we should implement parsing of the header, but not
send the header?   If we strip the header, do we still read it?  If not,
what are we supposed to do?

TIA...

Matt Lynch
Developer
Stimulus Solutions
http://www.stimulussolutions.com.au

---

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:24:09 -0800

> what are we supposed to do?

Strip it and throw it away.  The only way to implement persistent connections
with a proxy is with HTTP/1.1.  If Proxy-Connection is received by a proxy
that doesn't understand it but forwards it to another proxy which does try
to implement it, the connection will hang on the response.

....Roy