Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-nottingham-http-header-reg-00.txt

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:48:23 -0800

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 16:02:35 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-nottingham-http-header-reg-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: HTTP Header Field-Name Registries
	Author(s)	: M. Nottingham, J. Mogul
	Filename	: draft-nottingham-http-header-reg-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 08-Jan-02
	
This note establishes an IANA registry for standardized HTTP header
field-names, and an IANA registry indexing known non-standardized
HTTP header field-names.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-header-reg-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nottingham-http-header-reg-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-header-reg-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Jim Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:13:20 -0800

Hi,

Mac OS X has a file system which uses HTTP and the WebDAV extensions. 
Today, when an file entity on a DAV server is opened with write access, 
our file system GETs the entire entity from the server and then works 
with the local copy. When that entity is closed or synced, the local 
copy is PUT back to the server.

I'd like to change our code so that individual write requests to the 
server entity are write-through to the server, but to do that, I need to 
be able to do a ranged PUT with the range possibly starting and ending 
beyond the entity's current instance-length (the current length of the 
entity on the server). In addition, to be able to handle seek and 
truncate requests, I need to be able to change the instance-length 
without changing any data to both to make the entity either larger or 
smaller.

RFC 2616 doesn't really say how a Content-Range header might be used to 
specify a ranged PUT request (it only discusses how a server would use 
it to reply to a ranged GET), and nowhere that I can find does the RFC 
say how the length of an entity can be changed (although I was thinking 
that maybe the byte-content-range-spec in a Content-Range header could 
look something like "bytes */100" to set the length of an entity to 100 
without changing any data).

So, my two questions:

1 - Are ranged PUTs possible and if so, what should the headers look 
like?

2 - Can the length of an entity be changed and if so, what should the 
headers look like?

Thanks,

Jim Luther
Apple Computer