Subject: Encoding question in response to server

From: "Sinha, Raj (Raj)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:12:36 -0400

Hi 
I am on my way towards developing a simple XML browser using HTTP.

I am really confused about encoding and I was hoping to get some insight
into this issues.

I handle all data that comes in the XML file as UTF16. So enough if the
encoding has been specified in the XML file, I override it and use UTF
16 as the internal choice of encoding.

Now if I want to send a response back to the originating server, say a
form request using either the GET or the POST method, what encoding do I
use. How does HTTP spec specify what encoding the result must be in for
the server side script. 

I read somewhere in the HTML spec that US ASCII is used for the GET
method. So does mean I need to convert the form name and value data pair
from UTF 16 to US ascii.

What do I do I use the POST method.

Please correct me if I am reading the specs wrong. I need to know how to
what encoding must be used to send the response back to the web server.
Does the web server specify in any way what encodings it supports 

Thanks
raj