Subject: WCW'02 paper on 100-continue

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:19:37 -0600 (MDT)

FYI: There was an interesting paper presented at recent Web Caching
Workshop[1]: "Safe Composition of Web Communication Protocols for
Extensible Edge Services" by Adam D. Bradley, Azer Bestavros, and
Assaf J. Kfoury (Boston University). The title is scary but does not
say much about the study. You can get a PDF version of the paper [2].

	The authors used a formal model to find problems with
Expect/100-continue implementations. If their results are correct,
there are a few more-or-less realistic cases where a combination of
compliant and semi-compliant HTTP devices may lead to a communication
deadlocks or other bad things.

	I only listened to the presentation. The paper probably has
many interesting details. I do not know much about the process, but
perhaps this is something that should be looked at for adding to the
errata?

Thanks,

Alex.

[1] http://2002.iwcw.org/
[2] http://2002.iwcw.org/papers/18500001.pdf

-- 
                            | HTTP performance - Web Polygraph benchmark
www.measurement-factory.com | HTTP compliance+ - Co-Advisor test suite
                            | all of the above - PolyBox appliance