Subject: client closing connection

From: Diwakar Shetty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 18:01:45 +0530

Suppose a client has requested for page.
The page is a big file

Before the whole response has come, client wants to indicate to server that it is no more interested in the data.

At the same time, I do not want the TCP connection to be closed.
Since I want to make use of Keep-Alive and keep the TCp connection alive

How can I do it ?

Can sending "Connection:close" do the job ?
But I guess it will tear down the "Keep-Alive" connection in HTTP/1.1
Am not sure about its behaviour in HTTP 1.0

Thanks
Diwakar

---

From: Stefan Eissing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:41:36 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 06.02.03, um 13:31 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Diwakar 
Shetty:

> Before the whole response has come, client wants to indicate to server 
> that it is no more interested in the data.
>

Once the response is underway, it is not possible for the client to
interrupt the sending server other than by closing the connection.

What a client, concerned about the size of a GET response, can do is
to send a HEAD request to the server first and examine the 
Content-Length
(hopefully known by the server) in order to decide.

Hope this helps.

//Stefan