Subject: RE: Is there a HTTP 1.1 help list / forum / group?

From: Vijayabhaskar_Mamidi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:27:32 +0530

I do not know if we can ask basic questions in this group but if you can
post the header which created problem you can get an answer

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Stanfield [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 10:48 PM
To: http-wg
Subject: Is there a HTTP 1.1 help list / forum / group?

Hi,

I posted a question yesterday in this list concerning help with formatting
a HTTP/1.1 GET header which wasn't working (1.0 works fine) and was told I
probably needed a 'Host' header, it turns out I already had this --
unfortunately I'm still having problems.

I am reluctant to seek further 'a fairly basic question' help in this list
as it seems to be a highbrow discussion list and not the place to ask 'help
I am stuck' questions. Can someone recommend another list, forum or
newsgroup where I can post a 'help, what am I doing wrong' question please?
I've done multiple web searches trying to find one and have come up with
nothing. There seem to be several protocols.* newsgroups but no
protocols.http unfortunately.

Thanks and regards,

..matthew

---

From: Matthew Stanfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:39:32 +0000

> post the header which created problem you can get an answer

OK, thanks Vijayabhaskar.

The problem with my 1.1 GET headers (1.0 works fine) is one of 
intermittent failure. The headers work with some servers under certain 
circumstances and not at all with others. Consider this header:

--------------------------------------------------------------
GET http://www.yahoo.com/index.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.yahoo.com
Accept: */*
Accept-Language: en-us
Connection: keep-alive
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)

--------------------------------------------------------------

This request to Yahoo works fine when each newline is '\n' but not when 
the newlines are '\n\r', this is exactly the reverse of what I would 
expect. By the way '\n\r' is: 0A 0D. When '\n\r' is used there is no 
response at all from the server.

Something similar happens with www.reuters.co.uk.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GET http://www.reuters.co.uk/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.reuters.co.uk
Accept: */*
Accept-Language: en-us
Connection: keep-alive
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)

--------------------------------------------------------------

When I use '\n\r' I get: 'HTTP/1.1 400 Bad request' but with just '\n' I 
get: 'HTTP/1.1 200 OK'. (Obviously these were followed by the rest of 
the header and the body as well in the case of the latter.

Exactly the same responses as reuters gave are given by 
www.yourdictionary.com - the same header was sent except for the server 
address.

However www.google.com does not respond to the following header at all 
regardless of whether '\n\r' or '\n' is used. That's a no response not a 
'HTTP/1.1 400 Bad request' response.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GET http://www.google.com/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.google.com
Accept: */*
Accept-Language: en-us
Connection: keep-alive
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks and regards from a very confused newcomer to HTTP programming,

..matthew