Subject: RE: RFC 2617 Authentication sessions

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:00:59 -0600

> > If we're opening this section for revisions, can we please
> > also address the issue of whether the session key is recalculated
> > when the server sends an Auth-Info header with nextnonce?
> 
> I don't think that is ambiguous given the current text.  If the server
> sends a nextnonce, then it wants the client to start using it.

I agree that such behavior is logical; however, the text that
you just sent out says:

   If the "algorithm" directive's value is "MD5-sess", then A1 is
   calculated only once - on the first request by the client following
   receipt of a WWW-Authenticate challenge from the server.

So... when you get a nextnonce, do you recalculate A1? Is that what
you mean by "start using it?" Or do you calculate A1 "only once -
on the first request by the client following receipt of a
WWW-Authenticate challenge from the server," as the forgoing text
indicates?

/a