Subject: Content negotiation between XHTML 1.1 and XHTML Basic?

From: "Peter Sheerin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:19:27 -0800

How is one supposed to configure Apache for content negotiation if you are
serving only XHTML media types?

I'd like to be able to serve XHTML 1.1 for desktop browsers, XHTML Basic for
PDA-type browsers, and XHTML Mobile Profile for mobile phone browsers.

This is my starting point, but it doesn't work as intended. Yes, I know part of
the problem is that most browsers don't send the required quality preference,
but I'm trying to build a test case that would serve as a best-practices
example. Am I on the right track with the three media type configurations below?

AddType application/xhtml+xml;charset=utf-8;qs=1.00 .xhtml
AddType
application/xhtml+xml;profile=http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10.dtd
;charset=utf-8;qs=0.90 .xhtmlb
AddType application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml;charset=utf-8;qs=0.80 .wap

Is the profile string enough do differentiate XHTML Basic from XHTML 1.x? If
not, what other method should be used to activate content negotiation? Should I
instead use the level= parameter? For some things its structure is obvious, but
it breaks down for Basic and MP:

application/xhtml+xml;level=1.0 (for XHTML 1.0)
application/xhtml+xml;level=1.1 (for XHTML 1.1)
application/xhtml+xml;level=Basic (for XHTML Basic?)
application/xhtml+xml;level=MP (for XHTML Mobile Profile?)

-- 
Peter Sheerin

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:52:59 -0800

I think the current work in this area is being pursued in
the W3C Device Independence activity
http://www.w3.org/2001/di/Activity 

which has produced, e.g.,

http://www.w3.org/TR/CCPP-struct-vocab/ 

rather than relying on additional parameters for MIME types.
I'm browsing around the W3C site, though, and can't seem to
find the current status.

Anyone else know?

Larry