Subject: Re: HTTP1.1 Proxy, clients multiple persistent connections

From: Premysl Kouril <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:26:49 +0200

I have  one more question about this topic. I detected, that after 
creating couple of multiple connections between client and proxy, client 
sends requests for different www servers to one particular client-proxy 
connection (is it ok ?).  My question is how HTTP1.1 proxy (maintains 
proxy-www_server persistent connections) recognizes which proxy-www 
connection should be used for incoming client request (and when it shoud 
create new proxy-www connection). Thanks

---

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:27:32 -0500

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 08:26, Premysl Kouril wrote:
> connection (is it ok ?). 

Yes.

>  My question is how HTTP1.1 proxy (maintains 
> create new proxy-www connection). 

The proxy should examine each request (regardless of what connection it
is on) and determine what origin server it is for.

Note that a successful CONNECT request changes this by switching the
connection into a transparent tunnel - the proxy should not examine or
alter anything in that connection; just relay bits through it until the
connection is closed by the endpoints.

-- 
  Scott Lawrence
  SIPfoundry.org system administrator
  [email-masked]

---

From: Premysl Kouril <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:25:20 +0200

> connection is closed by the endpoints.
I can't imagine how can proxy make tunnel, because one client-to-proxy 
connection can handle with many requests which are for many different 
www servers and also new connections to new www servers can come from 
this connection anytime after first CONNECT request from this connection 
was established. So I think that proxy should examine everything and 
everytime in that connection. It would also mean, that server side 
tunnel would have many ends and there would be no possibility how to 
determine when proxy server should close connection to client, isn't it ?

---

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:21:58 -0500

> determine when proxy server should close connection to client, isn't it ?

See RFC 2817.