Subject: DELETE Content-Type / : deleting specific representation

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:15:51 +0100

Hello,

I'm wondering if the DELETE method can be used to to remove only a 
specific representation of a resource - can the Content-Type and 
Content-Language headers be used to specify the representation to be 
deleted? Is there another solution?

thanks,
reto

---

From: Yves Lafon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:48:22 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if the DELETE method can be used to to remove only a specific 
> representation of a resource - can the Content-Type and Content-Language 
> headers be used to specify the representation to be deleted? Is there another 
> solution?

When you retrieve the resource you want to Delete, you may have a 
Content-Location indicating the real URI served, in that case, you can do 
the DELETE on this one.

-- 
Yves Lafon - W3C
"Baroula que barouleras, au tiéu toujou t'entourneras."

---

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:04:38 +0100

Thanks, but the individual representations have nor URI on its own - 
maybe I should change this, but till now I was quite happy with the 
architecture of my http-server: the first handler handling a request 
removes extensions (if present) and changes the accept- (or content- on 
PUT) type/language headers accordingly, a later handler uses the 
information in an RDF model to determine the best available 
representation which is then retrieved by its urn:hash from a store. The 
representations are modeled in RDF as anonymous resources, so that no 
"uncool" URIs are in there.

reto

Yves Lafon schrieb:
> Content-Location indicating the real URI served, in that case, you can 
> do the DELETE on this one.
>