Subject: HTTP Bar BoF: scheduling, possible topics

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:07:46 -0700

How do people feel about an HTTP Bar BoF on Wednesday, 12 July, at  
8pm (after the plenary session)?

Some topics for discussion might include:

1) Document Status

* RFC2616bis - http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-gettys-http-v11- 
spec-rev/
* http://www.w3.org/mid/[email-masked]

2) Errata Candidates <http://skrb.org/ietf/http_errata.html>

* Bodies on GET (and other) requests - http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
[email-masked]
* Default charsets for text media types - http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
[email-masked]
* PUT side effects - http://www.w3.org/mid/14CD0D0B-6876-4E91- 
[email-masked]
* ETags (and other metadata) - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/ 
draft-whitehead-http-etag-00.txt
* no-store invalidation - http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
[email-masked]
* Requiring Allow in 405 responses - http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
[email-masked]
* Accept-Encoding BNF - http://www.w3.org/mid/[email-masked]
* Import query BNF - http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
[email-masked]
* PUT idempotency - http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
[email-masked]
* Connection closing - http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
[email-masked]
* Age calculation - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/ 
2002JulSep/0048.html
* header LWS - http://www.w3.org/mid/Pine.BSF. 
[email-masked]
* qdtext BNF - http://www.w3.org/mid/ 
[email-masked]
* OPTIONS * - http://www.w3.org/mid/[email-masked]
* TRACE security considerations - http://www.w3.org/mid/Pine.BSF. 
[email-masked]

3) Related Work

* Extensions/Additions to HTTP
   - Delta encoding with Atom entries - http://bobwyman.pubsub.com/ 
main/2004/09/using_rfc3229_w.html
   - http://www.faqs.org/ftp/pub/internet-drafts/draft-dusseault-http- 
patch-06.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-manoj-cachecontrol-00.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link- 
header-00.txt
   - http://www.mnot.net/drafts/draft-nottingham-http-poe-00.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pettersen-subtld- 
structure-00.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pettersen-dns-cookie- 
validate-00.txt

* Things Built on top of HTTP ("Bindings", etc.)
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kunze-thump-00.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-maes-lemonade-http- 
binding-04.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-geopriv- 
relo-00.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-11.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-winterbottom-http- 
location-delivery-03.txt

* Authentication, Identity and Security
   - wse BoF
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hartman-webauth-00.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hodges-saml-lsso-00.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-merrells-dix-02.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nystrom-http-sasl-12.txt
   - http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sayre-http-hmac- 
digest-01.txt

Does this seem interesting? Too much? What did I miss?

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: "Mark Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:13:13 -0400

> 8pm (after the plenary session)?

The scheduling's fine for me.

> Some topics for discussion might include:
[...]
> Does this seem interesting? Too much? What did I miss?

We better plan to close the bar with that list!

Seriously, that needs pruning, or at least prioritizing, if it's going
to become an agenda.  Just a thought, but if it were up on a Wiki then
we could vote on what we want to discuss.

Mark.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:54:35 -0700

It seems like a fair number of people are interested in this, so:

Wednesday, July 12, 8pm (location TBD). Look on the notice board and  
on this list for details.

A few additions below. Obviously, we're not going to be able to cover  
everything in detail, but it would be great if we could have a  
general discussion of #1, try to find victims to push the various  
errata to conclusion on the list (rather than trying to solve them  
there), and then pick through the related work as peoples' interests  
dictate.

1) Document Status

* Safeness / Idempotency defaults for extension methods
* Using RFC4234 ABNF

3) Related Work

* IANA registry for methods

* Things Built on top of HTTP (“Bindings”, etc.)