Subject: DELETE and ETag

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 11:38:24 +0100

Hi,

I just noticed a funny requirement in Section 8.4 of 
draft-ietf-simple-xcap-12 (<draft-ietf-simple-xcap-12>):

>    Before the server returns the 200 OK response to a DELETE, it MUST
>    process the resource interdependencies as defined in Section 8.2.7.
>    As long as the document still exists after the delete operation, any
>    successful response to DELETE MUST include the entity tag of the
>    document.

Note that in this case, "document" does not refer to the thing 
identified by the request URI, but to hierarchy of URIs, identifying 
different parts of an XML document.

So is it OK to return an ETag in response to a successful DELETE, when a 
  subsequent GET would return a 404?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Mark Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:56:09 -0500

It's also redefining the meaning of DELETE.

---

From: Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:12:42 -0800

I don't see a downside, really, but it seems like anything that  
does find this useful if misusing the concept of ETag.

	-wsv

On Nov 4, 2006, at 2:38 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> So is it OK to return an ETag in response to a successful DELETE,  
> when a  subsequent GET would return a 404?