Subject: References style in draft-lafon-rfc2616bis

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:53:38 +0100

Hi,

while working on updating references, it became clear that moving them 
around (because of reclassifying them) causes lots of diffs in the ASCII 
version (because of changed numbering).

All of this could be avoided by switching to symbolic references, such as

     RFC2396 [RFC2396]

or even just

     [RFC2396]

instead of

     RFC2396 [12]

(Note that the 2nd form is the one used by RoyF in the URI specs.)

Now would be a relatively painless moment to do that -- I would create a 
-02 draft based on -01, just doing this single change (and would move 
the other pending changes into an -03 draft).

Thoughts?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:49:26 +0100

>All of this could be avoided by switching to symbolic references, such as

The RFC Editor prefers http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcfaq.html#refs the
former forms, numeric references should be avoided, so yes, please do.
It is good practise to use the first form for the first occurence of
the reference, and the second form for subsequent references.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
68309 Mannheim · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/