Subject: NEW ISSUE: references to RFC1700

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:43:03 +0100

Hi.

RFC1700 ("ASSIGNED NUMBERS") has been obsoleted by RFC3232 ("Assigned 
Numbers: RFC 1700 is Replaced by an On-line Database").

draft-gettys-http-v11-spec-rev-00 
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gettys-http-v11-spec-rev-00>) just 
updates the reference, which I think is a bug.

In fact, RFC2616 refers to RCF1700

(1) for the definition of the default TCP port 
(<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-01.html#rfc.section.1.4.p.11>), 
(2) for a reference to the character set registry 
(<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-01.html#rfc.section.3.4>) 
  and
(3) for a reference to the media type registry 
(<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-01.html#rfc.section.3.7>).

I propose to remove the reference, and to make the following changes:

(1) Replace reference with in-lined URL of the IANA port registry 
(ironically, <http://www.iana.org/> is down while I write this so I 
don't have the URL .-),

(2) Replace the first reference with the in-lined URL of the IANA 
character set registry, and drop the second one, and

(3) Drop the reference, as the next sentence refers to the Media Type 
Registration Process anyway.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:49:56 -0800

Added: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/issues/#i46

On 2006/11/12, at 4:43 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

>
> Hi.
>
> RFC1700 ("ASSIGNED NUMBERS") has been obsoleted by RFC3232  
> ("Assigned Numbers: RFC 1700 is Replaced by an On-line Database").
>
> draft-gettys-http-v11-spec-rev-00 (<http://tools.ietf.org/html/ 
> draft-gettys-http-v11-spec-rev-00>) just updates the reference,  
> which I think is a bug.
>
> (1) for the definition of the default TCP port (<http://www.w3.org/ 
> Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon- 
> rfc2616bis-01.html#rfc.section.1.4.p.11>), (2) for a reference to  
> the character set registry (<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/ 
> rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-01.html#rfc.section.3.4>)  and
> (3) for a reference to the media type registry (<http://www.w3.org/ 
> Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon- 
> rfc2616bis-01.html#rfc.section.3.7>).
>
> (3) Drop the reference, as the next sentence refers to the Media  
> Type Registration Process anyway.
>
> Best regards, Julian
>
>
>
>

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/