Subject: WPAD Support for IPv6 (on-topic?)

From: Eric Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:02:37 -0700

I'm not sure this is the best forum for this question, but I figure that the folks here can point me in the right direction if I'm seriously off-topic.  :)

A while ago, our Networking team blogged about how Microsoft's HTTP stacks handle support WPAD for IPv6 addresses.

I'm curious if you had any feedback on the approach we've taken:
http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/articles/IPV6_PAC_Extensions_v0_9.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/07/18/IPV6-WPAD-for-WinHttp-and-WinInet.aspx

Thanks!
Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Internet Explorer
Want to view and tamper with HTTP(S) traffic?  Try Microsoft Fiddler<http://www.fiddlertool.com>

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:30:13 +1000

Hi Eric,

On 03/04/2007, at 10:02 AM, Eric Lawrence wrote:
> I’m not sure this is the best forum for this question, but I figure  
> that the folks here can point me in the right direction if I’m  
> seriously off-topic.  J
The problem with proxy.pac has always been finding an appropriate  
forum; it's really just a set of ECMAScript extensions, so some might  
say that's the best place. I'm not sure I agree, as most of the  
relevant expertise seems to be here.
>  A while ago, our Networking team blogged about how Microsoft’s  
> HTTP stacks handle support WPAD for IPv6 addresses.
>
> I’m curious if you had any feedback on the approach we’ve taken:
>
Seems sensible at a first glance, with the possible exception of  
getClientVersion(); can't scripts just test for the *Ex functions?  
Also, its value is specified as the version of the WPAD engine, but I  
don't think these are specific to WPAD...

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/