Subject: SRV records and HTTP

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:48:26 +1000

I've had this draft on how to use http with srv records for
	a while now.  I hope by raising it here I am reaching a
	appropriate audience (browser and proxy developers).  This
	really requires "buy in" from the browser and proxy developer
	communities to be effective.

	One of the main reasons for writing this is that sites often
	want "www" less urls and that usually implies a A/AAAA
	records at the apex of a zone as CNAME records can't be
	used there.  Such address records are often directed at
	hosting services and the use of a address record at the
	apex effectively precludes using the domain for any other
	service.

	Using a SRV records provides for a level of indirection
	(which permits hosting services to renumber servers much
	more easily).

	Mark

	http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-andrews-http-srv-01.txt
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE:	+61 2 9871 4742		         INTERNET: [email-masked]