Subject: Regarding dynamic ip addressed for HTTP Servers.

From: SiM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:29:35 +0530

Hello All,
                My first post to the list, i'am familiar with HTTP from a
user's point of view. I need some help in understanding the concept of how
things like "Running HTTP server on Dynamic IP address
machines is generally implemented "

I have a situation where we have a machine having a dynamic IP, hosting some
HTML documents, and will be online for sometime in a day, and wants to
associate
itself with a HTTP URL, so that any request targetted at that URL, is
redirected to this machine running on the Dynamic IP address.

I'am talking about a subdomain like simith.bloggerspoint.com, which is a
subdomain on bloggerspoint.com , and i wish to store all the content on my
dynamic ip address machine,
so that all requests targetted at simith.bloggerspoint.com are redirected by
bloggerspoint.com to my dynamic IP address or  just tunnelled to my dynamic
ip address.

For a feature of this kind to work, there should be some kind of a Binding
request and an unbinding request, associating the subdomain with the dynamic
IP address which i have,
on each reboot of my PC.

So when my HTTP server is up, i do a binding request to the
bloggerspoint.com and then when the Server is going down, it does an
unbinding request to remove the
association.

Is there any way i can implement such things in a standard way ? I'am not
sure whether this is in the scope of HTTP, please redirect me to the
appropriate mailing list, if this
is not the right place :-).

Please point me to any standard techniques generally adopted by implementors
who want to have such functionality ?

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,
Simith

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:29:41 +0200

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 12:29 +0530, SiM wrote:
> Hello All,
>                 My first post to the list, i'am familiar with HTTP
> from a user's point of view. I need some help in understanding the
> concept of how things like "Running HTTP server on Dynamic IP address 

By using Dynamic DNS to provide a reasonably static hostname which maps
to the dynamic IP.

This is not really related to HTTP, even if several Dynamic DNS service
providers uses HTTP as transport for the DNS updates instead of the more
standard DNS dynamic update mechanisms..

Regards
Henrik