Subject: RFC2617 erratum (editorial)

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 20:14:17 +0200

Hi,

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2617#section-2> says:

    To receive authorization, the client sends the userid and password,
    separated by a single colon (":") character, within a base64 [7]
    encoded string in the credentials.

...where [7] is a reference to RFC2396 (URI), which IMHO doesn't say 
anything about base64.

Going back to <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2068#section-11.1>, which said:

    To receive authorization, the client sends the userid and password,
    separated by a single colon (":") character, within a base64  encoded
    string in the credentials.

...which looks as if the reference was lost there.

Going even further back to 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1945#section-11.1>, which said:

    To receive authorization, the client sends the user-ID and password,
    separated by a single colon (":") character, within a base64 [5]
    encoded string in the credentials.

Here, [5] refers to RFC1521.

Thus, RFC2617 should be saying:

    To receive authorization, the client sends the userid and password,
    separated by a single colon (":") character, within a base64 [4]
    encoded string in the credentials.

...where [4] refers to RFC2045, which obsoleted RFC1521 later on.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 23:51:23 +0200

> ...where [4] refers to RFC2045, which obsoleted RFC1521 later on.

Sure, just as it does in the BNF which follows immediately after the
paragraph above..

Regards
Henrik

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:19:53 +0100

> ...where [4] refers to RFC2045, which obsoleted RFC1521 later on.

I think this should reference RFC 4648, section 4 instead.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:06:42 +0200

Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> ...

As an erratum, maybe. In a spec revision, certainly.

Best regards, Julian