Subject: range header query

From: "srirama chandra sekhar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:32:49 +0000

Hi All,

I have a query on "Range" header usage. Can "Range" header be applied for a resource which is having "Transfer-enoding: chunked" header?

Regards,
Sriram

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 01:36:08 +0200

On fre, 2007-09-28 at 13:32 +0000, srirama chandra sekhar wrote:

> I have a query on "Range" header usage. Can "Range" header be applied
> for a resource which is having "Transfer-enoding: chunked" header?

Yes.

Range applies on the requested entity as such, before transfer encoding.

transfer-encoding is purely a transfer property added to the HTTP
message when it is sent, not a resource property. It's still the same
entity no matter how much you add/remove transfer encodings (including
compression).

Note that this is very different from Content-Encoding which is a direct
property of the entity/resource, and for Content-Encoding Range applies
to the encoded entity.

Regards
Henrik