Subject: HTTPBIS - getting started

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:06:10 +1100

This mailing list is now the official forum of the IETF HTTPBIS  
Working Group. If you're subscribed to this list, you're  
participating in the Working Group.

There are a number of things to do, so without further delay;

* Charter

Our charter is available at <http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ 
httpbis-charter.html>.  Please read it carefully, as it will  
determine what we do over the next year or so. If you've been lurking  
on this list and aren't that familiar with the working style of the  
IETF, see <http://www.ietf.org/tao.html>.

* NOTE WELL

Since this is (again) a Working Group mailing list, people posting  
must read and understand the NOTE WELL policy, outlined at <http:// 
www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html>. Discussion on this mailing list is now  
considered to be covered (I'll send a separate notice of this as  
well, just to hammer it in).

* Next Steps

Currently, we're aware of one individual draft <http:// 
ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis/> and a set of  
individual drafts-to-be <http://labs.apache.org/webarch/http/draft- 
fielding-http/> that could serve as the basis of the HTTP  
deliverable; we'll need to choose one. While that doesn't necessarily  
block discussion of issues, making this choice as soon as possible  
will make the editors' lives and the group's discussions  
significantly easier.

I'll have more details about the deliverables and the process we'll  
use to get them out shortly.

* Issues

There is an informal issues list at <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/ 
1.1/rfc2616bis/issues/>, collected before the WG was formed. Shortly,  
I'll change all of the issues marked 'closed' to some other  
intermediary state, to give people the opportunity to review them and  
object to any of the particulars.

Although that list is fairly long, reflecting questions on this list  
going back for several years, it's by no means complete. I'll be  
adding a few issues to it soon to assure that we meet our chartered  
goals; if you have other issues that you've been sitting on them,  
please raise them as soon as possible. As before, the best way to do  
this is to send an e-mall to the list with a subject that includes  
the string "NEW ISSUE".

Note that the issues are currently divided into two types;
   - "design" issues, that require WG consensus and a formal  
resolution (ideally with proposed text).
   - "editorial" issues, that can be resolved at the editors'  
discretion, provided there is no objection from the WG.

If you disagree with the classification of an issue, please say so.

I'll start nominating issues for discussion shortly. If you have any  
that you're particularly interested in, feel free to start discussing  
it; the best way to move resolution forward is always to propose text  
with as much detail as possible -- preferably replacement text ready  
for the editors.

* Meetings

Because of our rather tight timeline, I expect that this WG will meet  
at most IETF plenaries during its lifetime, sometimes for more than  
one session. As always, participation is not mandatory (decisions can  
only be made on the mailing list), but meeting face-to-face is often  
useful for discussing subtle issues and understanding others' points  
of view. I encourage everyone interested in this effort to come to  
meetings as they're able.

The next opportunity for a meeting is in Vancouver, early December  
<http://www3.ietf.org/meetings/70-IETF.html>. I've requested a  
meeting slot, and we should have more information soon about the  
exact scheduling of that meeting. If you have strong feelings about  
the content of the agenda, please contact me sooner rather than later.

That's it for now,

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:38:33 -0700

> the content of the agenda, please contact me sooner rather than later.

The IETF meeting agenda now says:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/70/agenda.html

MONDAY, December 3, 2007
1740-1950 Afternoon Session III
Salon D/E	APP	httpbis	Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis WG

TUESDAY, December 4, 2007
1520-1720 Afternoon Session II
Salon 3	APP	httpbis	Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis WG

Are these dates and times sufficiently set in stone to go book flights
and accommodations if we want to be there?

Thanks.  -- justin

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 07:57:53 +1100

The final agenda will be published on November 12th, so there's some  
risk that the slots will change between now and then.

Personally, I'm going to wait a few days, in case there are  
adjustments, while still staying outside the 21-day booking window.

Cheers,