Subject: [new issue] If(-None)-Match still refers to entity

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 01:37:40 +0200

The description of If(-None)-Match still refers to entity when it talks
about ETag, should refer to entity tag, variant and requested variant.

Sections:

14.24 If-Match
14.26 If-None-Match

Problematic text (same in both sections):

   A client that has one or more entities previously
   obtained from the resource can verify that one of those entities is
   current by including a list of their associated entity tags in the
 
and later

   or if "*" is given and any current entity exists for that resource

Problem:

ETag values is associated with variants, not entities. There is other
uses of these conditionals than just simple entity caching which seems
to be what the current text has in mind.

Suggested replacement:

From:

   A client that has one or more entities previously
   obtained from the resource can verify that one of those entities is
   current by including a list of their associated entity tags in the
   [...]

To:
   A client that has one or more entity tags previously obtained
   from the resource can verify that one of those variants matches
   the current requested variant by including a list of their
   associated entity tags in the [...]
 
From:

   or if "*" is given and any current entity exists for that resource

To:

   or if "*" is given and any current requested variant exists for
   that resource

Regards
Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:47:52 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> ...

+1

Looks good to me. In particular it clarifies that a client may know an 
entity tag without ever having obtained the associated entity (such as 
the result of a POST/PUT).

Best regards, Julian