Subject: Connection: "close" — Case sensitive or not?

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 22:51:12 +0000

For compatibility with the web, the "close" connection option needs to  
be treated case insensitively. My reading of the spec gives me the  
impression that this should be a case sensitive comparison, unlike any  
other connection-token (which, as a header name, would be compared  
case insensitively).

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 04:59:21 +0100

> other connection-token (which, as a header name, would be compared  

Can't say the specs says either way on this.. There is no BNF for the
"close" Connection token, and no indication in the text if it's case
sensitive or not..

which makes me read it as

SHOULD be sent lowercase, but recipients SHOULD compare
case-insensitive.

There is this catch-all BNF syntax definition which kind of sets the
default expectation on case-insensitive

   "literal"
      Quotation marks surround literal text. Unless stated otherwise,
      the text is case-insensitive.

but as there is no BNF for this token it's somewhat unclear if this
applies.. but I have a feeling there should be.. and as it isn't
explicitly stated I think the general rule regarding literal text tokens
should be used, which means case-insensitive.

Regards
Henrik