Subject: 100-continue implementation status question

From: Paul Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:07:23 -0700

Can people help with the following question:
How widely implemented is 100-continue? And how correctly?

Thanks,

Paul

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:41:19 +0200

Paul Leach wrote:
> ...

In Java servlet world: the servers do implement it partly.

That is, they understand Expect: 100-continue, and reply with 100 
Continue when asked for it.

However, the containers do not let the servlets have a say (inspecting 
the request, and potentially saying "417 Expectation Failed"). This is a 
restriction that has been known for a long time, and I certainly hope 
the Java Servlet EG will address that at some point of time (I haven't 
checked recently, so maybe they already did and I missed it).

BR, Julian

---

From: Paul Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:03:42 -0700

In particular, one thing I'd like to know is whether, when authentication is needed, servers typically send back 401 instead of 100.

---

From: Tim Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:09:45 -0400

Ruby's client HTTP library does not implement it correctly.  It will  
send a body before any response is read.

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14666&group_id=426&atid=1698