Subject: Re: Proposal: i67 - quoting charsets

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 16:05:39 +1000

There was a bit of back-and-forth about this proposal, and a few +1s  
with discussion; are we ready to go?

On 08/04/2008, at 10:38 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> - leave accept-charset as-is.
> - explicitly allow all media-type parameters defined as a token to  
> occur as a quoted-string, and make them equivalent (p2 section 3.3).

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 21:43:08 +1000

Closed with proposal below.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 14:41:16 +0200

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> so, the proposal is:
> - explicitly allow all media-type parameters defined as a token to occur 
> as a quoted-string, and make them equivalent (p2 section 3.3).

Hm, there's no Section 3.3 in P2. Is this about Section 3.3 in P3?

> Thoughts?

Sounds good, however I'm not completely sure what we want to add here.

Just add a sentence stating that parameter=token and parameter="token" 
mean the same thing?

BR, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:52:18 +0200

> Closed with proposal below.

OK, proposed patch 
(<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/67/i67.diff>): 
in 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p3-payload-latest.html#rfc.section.3.3>,

add

    All parameters defined as a token are also allowed to occur as
    quoted-string, where both notations are equivalent.

after

    All parameters defined as a token are also allowed to occur as
    quoted-string, where both notations are equivalent.

Question: we use the same notation for Transfer-Encoding 
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-latest.html#rfc.section.3.4>): 
should we make the same change over there as well?

BR, Julian

---

From: "Brian Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:20:16 -0700

>     quoted-string, where both notations are equivalent.

Does this mean "All parameters defined as a token are also allowed to occur
as quoted-string, but only when both notations are equivalent" or "All
parameters defined as a token are also allowed to occur as quoted-string;
both notations are equivalent."

quoted-strings are always compared to each other in a case-sensitive manner
(right?) but tokens are always compared to each other in a case-insensitive
manner. A quoted-string should be compared to a token in a case-insensitive
manner as well, right?

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:32:07 +0200

> both notations are equivalent."

The intent was the latter.

So:

"All parameters defined as a token are also allowed to occur as 
quoted-string; both notations are equivalent."

> (right?) but tokens are always compared to each other in a case-insensitive

I thought it depends on the parameter:

"Parameter values might or might not be case-sensitive, depending on the 
semantics of the parameter name."

BR, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:55:56 +0200

> quoted-string; both notations are equivalent."

See also updated 
<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/67/i67.diff>.

> ...

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2046#section-4.1.2>:

"Unlike some other parameter values, the values of the charset parameter 
are NOT case sensitive."

BR, Julian

---

From: "Brian Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 06:36:08 -0700

> <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/

In the diff you are using a comma splice instead of a semicolon. I recommend
making it as a semicolon for clarity's sake.

> >> quoted-strings are always compared to each other in a 
> >> case-sensitive manner (right?) but tokens are always
> >> compared to each other in a case-insensitive
> > 
> > "Parameter values might or might not be case-sensitive, 
> > depending on the semantics of the parameter name."

Agreed. 

Thanks,
Brian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:51:40 +0200

> making it as a semicolon for clarity's sake.

Ack 
(<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/67/i67.diff> 
updated).

BR, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:05:44 +0200

...this issue has now been resolved as proposed (see 
<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/251>).

BR, Julian