Subject: The "unsafe" charset

From: "Robert Brewer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 15:33:22 -0700

>From http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-00.txt
section 3.2.3. "URI Comparison":

    Characters other than those in the "reserved" and "unsafe" sets (see
    RFC 2396 [RFC2396]) are equivalent to their ""%" HEX HEX" encoding.

I don't see a character set in http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt named
"unsafe". Is this supposed to say "unreserved"?

Robert Brewer
[email-masked]

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:45:08 +0200

> "unsafe". Is this supposed to say "unreserved"?

The answer is here: 
<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/2> (fixed in the 
subsequent drafts).

BR, Julian

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 01:16:16 +0200

> "unsafe". Is this supposed to say "unreserved"?

No. It's a legacy reference from RFC1738 time when the escaping rules
was laid out a little differently, and can be ignored when using 2396.

Regards
Henrik