Subject: https URI scheme

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:48:58 +0200

Hi.

Looking at the IANA URI registration reminded me that RFC 2616 doesn't 
define HTTPS, thus our set of specs doesn't either.

HTTPS is defined in RFC 2818, an Informational RFC. Should we mention 
that somewhere in Part 1?

BR, Julian

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 08:23:05 -0700

At 4:48 PM +0200 8/10/08, Julian Reschke wrote:
>Hi.
>
>Looking at the IANA URI registration reminded me that RFC 2616 
>doesn't define HTTPS, thus our set of specs doesn't either.
>
>HTTPS is defined in RFC 2818, an Informational RFC. Should we 
>mention that somewhere in Part 1?

+1

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:25:54 +0100

> that somewhere in Part 1?

Yes.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:35:19 +0200

>> that somewhere in Part 1?

Opened ticket <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/128>.

BR, Julian

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:18:27 +0200

Paul Hoffman wrote:

>> HTTPS is defined in RFC 2818, an Informational RFC.
>> Should we mention that somewhere in Part 1?

Apparently a IANA registry maintenance task:  The RFC
is fine for the "s" in "https", its reference to 2616
for the "http" in "https" will be obsoleted.  A new 
"https" URI registration template could do the trick.

 Frank

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:10:08 +0200

> that somewhere in Part 1?

It's informal due to the IAB position that protocol that can enable TLS
over their standard defined port should do so.. and defined for HTTP in
RFC 2817.

As result of this https:// is declared historical of doing things in
terms of specifications with RFC2817 Upgrade: TLS being the
standars-track way of enabling TLS. But industry use hasn't yet accepted
this at all from what I can tell.. Have anyone really seen an
application using RFC2817 Upgrade request to enable TLS?

Regards
Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:27:24 +0200

> Opened ticket <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/128>.

Proposed change (see 
<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/128/i128.diff>):

Just add the statement

       Note: the "https" scheme is defined in [RFC2818].

at the end of section 3.2.2.

BR, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:24:37 +0200

Julian Reschke wrote:
> ...
 > ...

Change applied with 
<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/313>.

BR, Julian