Subject: HTTP over SCTP draft submitted

From: Preethi Natarajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:58:28 +0000

Hello,

Your feedback on this initial version 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-natarajan-httpbis-sctp-00.txt) 
is very much appreciated.

Abstract:

Hyper-Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) [RFC2116] requires a reliable
transport for end-to-end communication.  While historically TCP has
been used for this purpose, this document proposes an alternative --
the Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) [RFC4960].  Similar
to TCP, SCTP offers a reliable end-to-end transport connection to
applications.  Additionally, SCTP offers other innovative services
unavailable in TCP.  The objectives of this draft are three-fold: (i)
to highlight SCTP services that better match HTTP's needs than TCP,
(ii) to propose a design for persistent and pipelined HTTP 1.1
transactions over SCTP's multistreaming service, and (iii) to share
some lessons learned from implementing HTTP over SCTP.  Finally, open
issues warranting more discussion and/or investigation are listed.

Thanks much,
Preethi