Subject: Base for first-byte-pos, last-byte-pos, suffix-length

From: Jeff Walden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:26:43 -0800

RFC2616 doesn't specify the base of the numbers used in byte range requests; it should note that each is a decimal number akin to how 4.4 number 3 does so for Content-Length.

Jeff

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:07:53 -0800 (PST)

How about a note at the beginning that all numbers not other wise
decloared are in base 10 decimal.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Jeff Walden wrote:

>
> RFC2616 doesn't specify the base of the numbers used in byte range
> requests; it should note that each is a decimal number akin to how 4.4
> number 3 does so for Content-Length.
>
> Jeff
>

---

From: Jeff Walden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:54:37 -0800

> number 3 does so for Content-Length.

A response to this was posted but never reached me because I hadn't subscribed to the mailing list, suggesting a blanket "unless otherwise stated, numbers are decimal" note; that seems like it would work fine.

Jeff

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:05:54 +0100

David Morris wrote:
> ...

Is there a counterexample for that?

That being said, if a reader misses what 1DIGIT means, how likely is it 
that (s)he'll remember a statement we made once in the introduction?

BR, Julian

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:13:45 -0800 (PST)

It makes no sense to me that every place an integer appears in a protocol
element that we need to point out that it is a base 10 number. The
document is bulky enough as is. As I recall, we have an introduction to
the grammer ... folks reading the document should be expected to check
there for details ... if we need to say anything, that seems like the
place.