Subject: Re: A question about Content-Length header

From: "Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:09:43 -0800

Thanks for your response.

Frustratedly, i still did not get an explicit answer from reading the
section.

Perhaps i should ask it this way:

   MUST an HTTP 1.1 *client* transfer-encode a message body in chunks
   and send Transfer-Encoding header if the client can/will not send
   Content-Length header for some reason?

Looking forward to a either "YES" or "NO" answer according to official 
interpretation of RFC 2616.

Thanks!!

peter

---

From: Adrien de Croy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:56:03 +1300

is sending.

A server has the option to close the connection to signal end of message
if no Content-Length or chunking is not used. A client for obvious
reasons does not have this option.

So in short, I would say the answer is yes, if the client message has an
entity body, and it will not send a Content-Length for whatever reason,
it must use chunking.

Adrien

Peter wrote:
> Hi, Julian.

-- 
Adrien de Croy - WinGate Proxy Server - http://www.wingate.com

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:12:22 -0800 (PST)

> there is no other way to signal the end of the message that the client
> is sending.
>

In theory, a client could do a 1/2 close on the connection, but I'm not
sure that would be properly handled by the majority of web servers.

Also, a word of caution, there has been discussion on this list in the not 
too distant past which questioned whether web servers generally would
accept chunked encoding of the request and process it correctly.

Dave Morris