Subject: Empty host in 'http' scheme

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:47:35 +0100

Hi,

  According to RFC 2616 under the RFC 2396 interpretation of "host" and
as noted in RFC 3986 the "host" component of the authority in http URIs
cannot be the empty string. draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-05 however
does allow the empty string as host. If that is intentional it should be
pointed out clearly below the definition of the scheme's syntax.

regards,
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:46:34 +0100

> pointed out clearly below the definition of the scheme's syntax.

There's a (closed) issue that is somehow related: 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/92>, see:

> In other words, part 1 needs to define an empty host is an error for the http and https schemes.
> 
> In any case, servers that break based on any network input, valid or not, are broken. 

Seems that we should open a separate issue for that.

BR, Julian