Subject: Ambiguity in ABNF for comment

From: Thomas Nordin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:54:46 +0000

The ABNF in http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-06.txt 
  (section 4.2) for "comment" seems to have the same problem as  
mentioned in Ticket #31 for "quoted-string". I.e. "ctext" includes the  
"\" character and thus "(\)" is ambiguous, either "\)" is a "quoted- 
pair" and the comment is still open or it is a "ctext" backslash  
followed by ")" thus ending the comment.

Proposed solution: exclude "\" from ctext.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:54:36 +0200

Thomas Nordin wrote:
> The ABNF in 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-06.txt (section 
> 4.2) for "comment" seems to have the same problem as mentioned in Ticket 
> #31 for "quoted-string". I.e. "ctext" includes the "\" character and 
> thus "(\)" is ambiguous, either "\)" is a "quoted-pair" and the comment 
> is still open or it is a "ctext" backslash followed by ")" thus ending 
> the comment.
> 

Agreed. I have created ticket 162 
(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/162>), and will 
change ctext to exclude "\" soonish.

BR, Julian