Subject: Re: iPhone streaming Internet-Draft posted

From: David Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:23:07 +0800

Hi, Mark. Thanks for looking at the spec.

On May 4, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>I had a quick look over this. My impression was that the 
>relationship to HTTP is pretty tangental; i.e., you may only intend 
>to use this over HTTP, but there's not much (anything?) 
>HTTP-specific about it.
>
>As such, it may be better to position this as a format description 
>(or indeed a description of an extension to an existing format), 
>rather than something HTTP-specific. E.g., a good name might be 
>'Live Streaming Extensions for the M3U Playlist Format.'
>
>One question -- why do all of your tags begin with 'EXT-X-'?

In the M3U playlist format, tags start with EXT. Since we don't 
control M3U, we defined new tags by analogy with experimental MIME 
types, thus EXT-X-.
-- 
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.