Subject: Behaviour with malformed headers

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 15:58:29 +0100

Hi,

When a server receives a header (say, for example, a If-Modified-Since  
header) whose value does not match the grammar (or is otherwise  
malformed), what should that server do? Should it just ignore that  
header and pretend it wasn't there, or should it return 400, or should  
it do something totally different?

I had a quick look over bis, but I haven't read it that closely, so it  
is entirely possible that this is already specified.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 19:25:58 +0200

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
 > ...

In general, the HTTP doesn't require a specific behavior for malformed 
requests. A server can accept them, or it can reject them with a 4xx 
status code.

BR, Julian