Subject: CR and LF in chunk extension values

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:07:00 +0200

Hi,

  A chunk extension value is defined as either token or quoted-string. A
quoted-string allows CRs and LFs for folding and in escaped form under
RFC 2616; we have since outlawed the escaped form, and in headers, but
not chunk extension values, we now outlaw producing them for folding as-
well. Accepting and processing the latter correctly still appears to be
a SHOULD level requirement; I am not sure about the former.

It appears that implementations usually just read a line and ignore any-
thing after the first ";" character at the beginning of a chunk. Perhaps
the specification should use a CRLF-free quoted-string instead for this;
if not, the considerations for obs-fold should apply to chunk extension
values aswell, or obs-fold should not be used for chunk extension values
(which would require a separate quoted-string production aswell).

regards,
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:53:23 +1000

Now #173:
   http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/173

We probably need to have a more general discussion of chunk-extensions  
as well...

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Jamie Lokier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:40:54 +0100

> a SHOULD level requirement; I am not sure about the former.

Hmm.  I had no idea line folding was allowed inside a quoted-string,
and I expect I'm not the only one.  That's quite a surprise.

-- Jamie