Subject: Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

From: Ian Hickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 23:15:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> 
> Which raises an interesting question.  If a <video> points to data that 
> has Content-Type metadata that says it's application/octet-stream.... 
> I'd say that the UA should ignore that and look at the actual data just 
> like it would if the MIME type is not set.

What should canPlayType() say for application/octet-stream? "maybe"? I can 
define application/octet-stream as never being "a type that the user agent 
knows it cannot render", which would give this behaviour and would mean 
that user agents have to sniff.

-- 
Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

---

From: Boris Zbarsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:52:28 -0400

> that user agents have to sniff.

I personally would be fine with the above.

-Boris

---

From: Ian Hickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:40:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> > > has Content-Type metadata that says it's application/octet-stream.... I'd
> > > say that the UA should ignore that and look at the actual data just like
> > > it would if the MIME type is not set.
> > 
> > knows it cannot render", which would give this behaviour and would mean that
> > user agents have to sniff.
> 

So done.

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, Chris Double wrote:
> 
> If it's defined as a type that we never know if we cannot render we can 
> still choose not to render it and therefore don't have to sniff, for 
> those user agents that choose not to implement sniffing of media types, 
> right?

How would you handle no Content-Type at all? I'm saying that 
application/octet-stream should be treated like that.