Subject: Re: fyi: Tab-level cookies for the browser

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 05:02:17 -0700

1. I did not originate the message Daniel Stenberg responds to, fwiw. Micah 
Lemonik <[email-masked]> apparently originated it.

2. I overall agree with Daniel Stenberg's assessment.

=JeffH

Subject: Re: fyi: Tab-level cookies for the browser
From: Daniel Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:46:12 +0200 (CEST)
To: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <[email-masked]>

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, =JeffH wrote:

 > We would like to propose the browser add tab-level cookies that will
 > override the global process-level cookie in a given tab. That is if a tab
 > override cookie is set on a particular tab, that cookie will be used in
 > place of the global cookie. Tab level cookies would last the lifetime of a
 > tab and would propagate to child tabs.

[...]

 > I would love to hear feedback from this list on how this might work in
 > browsers and/or alternative solutions.

I fail to see a way how the server can give any particular useful hints about
the cookie like "This is suitable for a tab" or "This is for a whole browser".
After all, I would figure a browser could decided to do more or less *ALL*
cookies separate in their own tabs.

The problems for a browser inlcude how to know what cookies to save and which
that would be used globally etc. I would assume that it would make separate
cookie jars and let the user match jars with tabs or something. And possibly
make one of the tab's jars become the global jar...

I don't think this is a HTTP(-bis) issue. Even if the http-state list is
mostly dead...

-- 

   / daniel.haxx.se

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:26:35 -0700 (PDT)

I would prefer a solution which identifies some form of scope for cookies. 
This isn't a tab issue as the same problem exists for multiple browser 
windows. Browser tend to share cookies between all open windows. Certainly 
there are applications which open windows and/or other wise collaborate 
between windows which would want the cookie scope limited to more than one 
window.