Subject: Re: Comments on the HTTP Sec-From Header (draft-abarth-origin)

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:57:23 -0700

Julian responded:
 > Mark Nottingham wrote:
 >> ...
 >>> I'm confused.  Where did the quotes come from?
 >>
 >> It's necessary because a URL can contain a comma.
 >> ...
 >
 > I think angle brackets as URL delimiters are used more frequently (Link
 > header, WebDAV headers...).

indeed. See "Appendix C.  Delimiting a URI in Context" RFC3986..

   "In practice, URIs are delimited in a variety of ways, but usually
    within double-quotes "http://example.com/", angle brackets
    <http://example.com/>, or just by using whitespace:
                             .
                             .
                             .
    Using <> angle brackets around each URI is especially recommended as
    a delimiting style for a reference that contains embedded whitespace."

=JeffH

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 02:19:56 +0200

>     a delimiting style for a reference that contains embedded whitespace."

However, if something is to be processed as a list in HTTP context then
the quoted comma separated form is my recommended as that's the standard
list format.

Standard HTTP parsers will accept both quoted and non-quoted values.
Quotes is technically only needed for parsing if the value contains
whitespace or commas.

  1#(token | quoted-string)

or slight variants thereof (i.e. 1#(token "=" quoted-string) is a fairly
common HTTP construct.

Additionally <> quoting is not defined in 2616 or HTTPbis as far as I
know.

Regards
Henrik

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:57:53 +1000

Yes. The only reason Link uses it is for backwards-compatibility with  
the original form, which is very old.

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/