Subject: fyi: Strict Transport Security specification

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 07:30:13 -0700

Of possible interest to ietf-http-wg@ denizens...

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:00:50 -0700
From:    =JeffH <[email-masked]>
To:      [email-masked]
cc:      Jeff Hodges <[email-masked]>,
	 Adam Barth <[email-masked]>,
	 Collin Jackson <[email-masked]>
Subject: fyi: Strict Transport Security specification

Hi,

We wish to bring the following draft specification to your attention..

     Strict Transport Security (STS)
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Sep/att-0051/draft-hodges-
strict-transport-sec-05.plain.html>

It specifies a refined approach to that described by Jackson and Barth in..

     ForceHTTPS: Protecting High-Security Web Sites from Network Attacks
     https://crypto.stanford.edu/forcehttps/

An experimental implementation of STS will be appearing in the Google Chrome
dev channel in the not-too-distant future..

     Google Chrome 4.0.211.0 (dev channel)

Sid Stamm (of Mozilla) has a Firefox extension presently implementing
an earlier revision of this specification (a soon-to-appear v2.0 of
the extension will implement the present spec version)..

     Force-TLS 1.0.3
     https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12714

Sid also discusses this approach in this blog post..

     Locking up the valuables: Opt-in security with ForceTLS
<http://blog.mozilla.com/security/2009/07/27/locking-up-the-valuables-opt-in-se
curity-with-forcetls/>

We are interested in bringing this work to W3C WebApps Working Group as a
Recommendation-track specification. We are willing to license it under W3C
terms, we understand that it may change due to implementer or public feedback,
and that should it be of interest to other implementors, we're willing to
contribute to editorial and test suite efforts.

We're looking forward to the WebApps WG's feedback and comments.

Thanks,

=JeffH
PayPal InfoSec Team

Collin Jackson
Carnegie Mellon University

Adam Barth
University of California Berkeley

------- End of Forwarded Message