Subject: Re: clarification of 7.2.2. Monitoring Connections for Error Status Messages

From: Henrik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 01:47:33 +0200

mån 2010-04-19 klockan 02:31 +0100 skrev Jamie Lokier:
> Mark Nottingham wrote:
> > The server isn't required to wait for the entire request before sending a status. Is that what you're looking for?
> 
> Ah, but is the server allowed to depend on receiving the remainder of
> the request after it has sent a non-error status?

There is nothing which requires clients to send anything to servers.
Clients are free to abort at any time if they no longer have interest in
what the server may say.

So no, servers should not depend on receiving the request body AFTER
they have responded to the request.

Regards
Henrik

---

From: Henrik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 01:53:05 +0200

tis 2010-04-20 klockan 01:54 -0700 skrev Wenbo Zhu:

> IMO, early non-error response does seem to violate the basic RPC
> scheme that is assumed in HTTP. From reading the charter of this WG, I
> am not sure if we choose to allow, explicitly, such interaction
> semantics, will it introduce any incompatibility?

Any change which will REQUIRE clients to continue sending their request
body even after the server have responded will introduce
incompatibility.

> Non-error status doesn't necessarily guarantee a complete/successful
> response, e.g. server processing, networking may fail any way.. The
> real issue is that clients/proxies alike need be prepared to receive
> responses when requests are still under transmission.

Which most do.

But they also must be prepared to continue sending the request, which is
not in line with current specifications.

Regards
Henrik