Subject: Re: Explicit instructions on use of fragment in request URI

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 22:51:37 +1000

My .02 - I think there's a fine line to walk here (as usual) between making the spec usable and making it so verbose as to be unusable. 

Daniel's comment, IMO, tips towards mentioning this in prose briefly.

Cheers,

On 22/04/2010, at 4:58 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 22.04.2010 08:49, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
>> I'm not looking for a MUST NOT. But it would be nice for the spec to say "btw, you can't use fragments here".
>> 
>> I always knew fragments are not allowed, but when asked, I couldn't show where that's defined. And because HTTP doesn't make it easy, OAuth has to make developers aware of that.
>> ...
> 
> Still trying to understand the issue.
> 
> The ABNF doesn't allow the fragment here; is that really so hard to spot?
> 
> Best regards, Julian
> 

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Henrik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:22:48 +0200

> Daniel's comment, IMO, tips towards mentioning this in prose briefly.

Especially considering we have done lots of talking about fragments in
relation to Location where the BNF also do not allow fragments.

None of the BNF from 2616 allows fragments anywhere, except possibly for
the unused import of URI-reference if you are inclined include that in
the BNF.

The only place where this is explicitly mentioned in 2616 is Referer..

Regards
Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 18:14:01 +0200

> relation to Location where the BNF also do not allow fragments.

*did* not allow fragments; but that had been considered an error since 
1999 and was fixed in httpbis.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 18:53:59 +0200

> Daniel's comment, IMO, tips towards mentioning this in prose briefly.

OK,

I added

       Note: Fragments ([RFC3986], Section 3.5) are not part of the
       request-target and thus will not be transmitted in an HTTP
       request.

to the very end of section 4.1.2 (see 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/822>).

Best regards, Julian