Subject: 304 updating ETag

From: Adrien de Croy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:04:03 +1200

Hi all

Is it legal for a 304 response to return an ETag that doesn't match any 
of the ETag(s) in the If-None-Match request header?

It's hard to tell from the spec... I've got a few servers that do this 
repeatedly.

TIA

Adrien

---

From: Henrik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 20:50:42 +0200

> of the ETag(s) in the If-None-Match request header?

Only if the server do not implement If-None-Match.

It is specified how caches should behave if this happens. I don't have
the section reference here but the cache should then discard the
response and retry the request without conditional.

Regards
Henrik