Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-httpbis-authscheme-registrations-00.txt

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 04:18:40 +0100

* [email-masked] wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis Working Group of the IETF.
>
>
>	Title           : Initial Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Authentication Scheme Registrations
>	Author(s)       : J. Reschke
>	Filename        : draft-ietf-httpbis-authscheme-registrations-00.txt
>	Pages           : 4
>	Date            : 2010-11-09
>
>This document registers Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
>authentication schemes which have been defined in standards-track
>RFCs before the IANA HTTP Authentication Scheme Registry was
>established.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-httpbis-authscheme-registrations-00.txt

(I gather from the draft draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth is supposed to
establish the registry; it seems a bit odd to me that there is a
separate draft only to put Basic and Digest into that registry; it
might be a good idea to offer some rationale for that in the draft,
i.e. why draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth doesn't register them.)
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:35:10 +0100

On 09.12.2010 04:18, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> ...
 > ...

Essentially for the same reason we do it in for methods.

Also, I really want to avoid giving the impression that Part 7 does 
recommend or even specify Digest; my understanding is that this will 
cause massive problems once we'd get to the IESG.

Is there a polite way to say that in the Introduction? Do we really need to?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 19:30:19 +0000

Hi Julian,

> cause massive problems once we'd get to the IESG.

That is probably wise.

Should the document register other schemes like Negotiate?

-- 
IETF Application Area Director, <http://www.ietf.org/iesg/members.html>
Internet Messaging Team Lead, <http://www.isode.com>
JID: same as my email address

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:39:56 +0100

> Should the document register other schemes like Negotiate?

And that's another reason.

We haven't decided yet what we want to say about those schemes that seem 
to break HTTP.

If we register them (and I guess we'll have to), we'll have to explain 
what's wrong with them. I'd rather not have that in the base spec.

Best regards, Julian