Subject: Status code questions

From: Nathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:10:49 +0000

Hi All,

Two questions wrt the usage of status codes with certain methods:

1: Can a server return 301/302/307 in response to a DELETE?
(I've previously assumed "no" as moved would indicate no longer present, 
nothing to delete) - but still unsure.

2: According to rule 2 of [1] ""If the response status code is 204, 206, 
or 304 and the request method was GET or HEAD"" - I'm wondering, under 
what circumstances would you ever use GET or HEAD with 204 No Content?

Many thanks in advance,

Nathan

[1] 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-12#section-6.1

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:57:23 +0100

> nothing to delete) - but still unsure.

I'm pretty sure some servers do that (when redirecting to the 
"canonical" URI).

> what circumstances would you ever use GET or HEAD with 204 No Content?

Personally I wouldn't (and use 200 with content-length 0). But the spec 
still needs to say how it should be treated...

Best regards, Julian