Subject: PUT and DELETE methods in 200 code

From: Dominik Tomaszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:02:57 +0200

Hi all,

In [1] there are specified HTTP methods in 200 code. I think that this 
section should be extended to PUT and DELETE methods, because in [2] and 
[3] authors write references to 200 code [1]. In my opinion PUT and 
DELETE methods can be defined the same as POST (a representation 
describing or containing the result of the action). It could be very 
helpful especially for RESTful applications.

[1] 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-13#section-8.2.1
[2] 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-13#section-7.6
[3] 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-13#section-7.7

Regards,

Dominik Tomaszuk

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:31:41 +0200

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-13#section-7.7

Hi Dominik,

thanks for coming over here to discuss this.

Let's have a look at PUT. Three things that come to mind what a 200 
response could carry are:

- nothing (the server did what you asked for, and that's really all you 
need to know) -- this is what many (most) WebDAV servers will do

- return a small status message

- return the new representation of the resource

There are probably more options. I'm not sure the HTTP spec can/should 
mandate any.

So also recent discussion of "Prefer"...: starting at 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2011JanMar/0291.html>.

BR, Julian