Subject: Re: DELETE and 410 Gone

From: Jonas Jacek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:00:58 +0000

The only "clean" solution is to present a 404 error. "This status code
is commonly used when the server does not wish to reveal exactly why the
request has been refused, or when no other response is applicable."

Resource: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html:

## 404 Not Found
The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No
indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.
The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through
some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is
permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address. This status code
is commonly used when the server does not wish to reveal exactly why the
request has been refused, or when no other response is applicable. 

410 Gone

The requested resource is no longer available at the server and no
forwarding address is known. This condition is expected to be considered
permanent. Clients with link editing capabilities SHOULD delete
references to the Request-URI after user approval. If the server does
not know, or has no facility to determine, whether or not the condition
is permanent, the status code 404 (Not Found) SHOULD be used instead.
This response is cacheable unless indicated otherwise.

The 410 response is primarily intended to assist the task of web
maintenance by notifying the recipient that the resource is
intentionally unavailable and that the server owners desire that remote
links to that resource be removed. Such an event is common for
limited-time, promotional services and for resources belonging to
individuals no longer working at the server's site. It is not necessary
to mark all permanently unavailable resources as "gone" or to keep the
mark for any length of time -- that is left to the discretion of the
server owner. 

Regards - Jonas
-- 
Jabz Internet Marketing GmbH
-----------------------------

Mr. Jonas Jared Jacek
Managing Director

http://jabz.net/contact/jonas-jacek

Barmbeker Strasse 187
22299 Hamburg
Germany

Register court: District Court Hamburg, Germany
Comm. Registry: HRB Hamburg 112080
Tax ID-number:DE269023421

Managing Directors: Louis Peiffer, Jonas Jacek