Subject: Re: I-D draft-petersson-forwarded-for-01.txt

From: "Darrel Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 23:26:25 +0000

>5.5.  Private extensions
>
>   Private extensions allow for adding own parameters and values.
>   Private parameters MUST be prepended with "x-".  This may be
>   particularly useful in a reverse proxy environment.

Can I suggest that for the same reasons that using x- for provisional
message headers is not recommended that you do not require x- as a parameter
prefix?

Also, it would be nice to have a "from" parameter, as alternative to the
>From Http header, that allowed the use of a URN to identify the requesting
user rather than being limited to an email address.

Regards,

Darrel Miller

---

From: Andreas Petersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:22:18 +0200

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 23:26:25 +0000

> message headers is not recommended that you do not require x- as a parameter

I was not aware of draft-saintandre-xdash when I wrote this draft.
It seems appropriate to include a reference to this.
As draft-saintandre-xdash is only a draft yet, how can I update
draft-petersson-forwarded-for to take this x- deprecation into account?
Suggested formulations are welcome.

> user rather than being limited to an email address.

If the from field should be specified in this draft, which might be a
good idea, I think the value should be specified to refer to
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-16#section-9.3
or RFC2616 section 14.22.

I don't see the usecase for it, containing an URN.
More important, I don't think it
would be appropriate to divert the semantics, or syntax of the field
from the definition in RFC2616 / draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics.

Regards,
 Andreas Petersson

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 05:48:20 +0800

On 2011-10-10 at 21:22:18, Andreas Petersson wrote:
> As draft-saintandre-xdash is only a draft yet, how can I update draft- 
> petersson-forwarded-for to take this x- deprecation into account?

It's really simple.  Don't assign a special meaning to an "x-" prefix.

Beyond that, you don't even need to cite draft-saintandre-xdash.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:34:52 -0600

> Beyond that, you don't even need to cite draft-saintandre-xdash.

+1

BTW that document has been replaced by:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash/

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/