Subject: IPV6 literal URL format mention might be useful

From: Dale Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:41:26 -0700

Hi Mr. Nottingham et. al

I never came across this and had assumed due to no luck and trouble with
syntax that IPv6 literals were not supported in URLs. I think HTTP engineer
types will naturally run into this and may not look elsewhere than 'httpbis'
and RFC3986 URL scheme for this kind of information. I found RFC2732 which
specifically addresses IPv6 literals and this works with my firefox browser
and also with curl (must specify -g to avoid parsing error).

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2732.html

I don't propose exactly WHERE, but I would consider putting some mention of
IPv6 literal URL scheme into the 'httpbis' for such HTTP engineers to more
easily find, because it is the place they will most naturally look.

Thanks!

Dale Anderson

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:04:14 +0200

On 2011-10-07 19:41, Dale Anderson wrote:
> syntax that IPv6 literals were not supported in URLs. I think HTTP
> engineer types will naturally run into this and may not look elsewhere
> than 'httpbis' and RFC3986 URL scheme for this kind of information. I
> found RFC2732 which specifically addresses IPv6 literals and this works
> with my firefox browser and also with curl (must specify -g to avoid
> parsing error).
>
> I don't propose exactly WHERE, but I would consider putting some mention
> of IPv6 literal URL scheme into the 'httpbis' for such HTTP engineers to
> more easily find, because it is the place they will most naturally look.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dale Anderson

HTTPbis uses the "authority" ABNF term from RFC 3986. RFC 3986 allows 
IPv6, see <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3986.html#rfc.section.3.2.2>.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Dale Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 13:33:52 -0700

You know, you're right and I am infamous (amongst me, Myself, and I..) for
typoing 3896 for 3986 maybe I mis-grepped when I was scanning for mention of
IPv6.

Thank you, I guess 3986 does cover this, and httpbis is littered with
references to 3986 so OK. Sorry for the waste of time. Wow.

Regards,

Dale

2011/10/7 Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>

>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/**rfc2732.html<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2732.html>
>>
> HTTPbis uses the "authority" ABNF term from RFC 3986. RFC 3986 allows IPv6,
> see <http://greenbytes.de/tech/**webdav/rfc3986.html#rfc.**section.3.2.2<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3986.html#rfc.section.3.2.2>
> >.
>
> Best regards, Julian
>