Subject: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-03.txt

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 20:36:52 +0100

Hi,

FYI: I've been working on revising RFC 5987.

The issues list (incl links to resolved issues) is here:

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-issues.html>

At this point, I'm looking for feedback on 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-latest.html#rfc.issue.httpbis> 
-- should this wait for HTTPbis is done?

Also, I'd like to see feedback whether 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-03.html#implementation.report> 
is helpful (it was added because I was planning to progress to Draft 
standard, but that standards level is now gone, and implementation 
reports aren't required anymore).

Best regards, Julian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-03.txt
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 11:32:30 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title           : Indicating Character Encoding and Language for HTTP 
Header Field Parameters
	Author(s)       : Julian F. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-03.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2011-12-08

    By default, message header field parameters in Hypertext Transfer
    Protocol (HTTP) messages cannot carry characters outside the ISO-
    8859-1 character set.  RFC 2231 defines an encoding mechanism for use
    in Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) headers.  This
    document specifies an encoding suitable for use in HTTP header fields
    that is compatible with a profile of the encoding defined in RFC
    2231.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-rfc5987bis-03.txt

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: James Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:55:33 -0800

I will go through this in detail a bit later today but just wanted to
let you know that I've included support for rfc5987 in the Abdera2
update, so there's another implementation to add to your list. In
fact, Abdera2 uses rfc5987 as the default encoding whereas Abdera 1.x
used the older B codec as the default. I did not encounter any major
issues in the implementation, but I do know my impl does not support
quoted values as pointed out in the valuesyntax issue.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Julian Reschke <[email-masked]> wrote:
> standard, but that standards level is now gone, and implementation reports
> aren't required anymore).
>
> Best regards, Julian
>
>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 12:22:39 +0100

Hi James,

> used the older B codec as the default. I did not encounter any major

So how is Abdera using the encoding? In Content-Disposition? In Link? 
Client? Server?

> quoted values as pointed out in the valuesyntax issue.

Yes, for that issue we just just explain why we ended up with this 
syntax (as inherited from 2231); and maybe point out why we don't want 
to change it.

Best regards, Julian