Subject: Case sensitivity of Transfer-Codings

From: Dave Bordoley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 01:27:14 +0000

In version 18 of the draft spec it states that "All transfer-coding
values are case-insensitive." Its a little unclear whether this also
applies to the attribute/value pairs that make up a
transfer-parameter. In similar key/value pairs, attribute values tend
to be case insensitive while values are not. For instance, the spec
for media types states: "The type, subtype, and parameter attribute
names are case-insensitive.  Parameter values might or might not be
case-sensitive." It would be nice for the spec to state this
explicitly as well transfer-codings.

Thanks,

Dave

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 06:02:34 +0100

>explicitly as well transfer-codings.

(FWIW, I thought this would be already very clear and looked up the
section Dave Bordoley was missing, but upon further inspection, I do
agree that there should be some text to this effect, or this should
be organized differently, like having a generic definition that says
parameter names are case-insensitive, for values see the individual
parameter definition.)
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:05:38 +0100

> parameter names are case-insensitive, for values see the individual

In theory.

Right now, header field definitions are really all stand-alone. We 
really should state the general principles in a single place (param name 
case-insensitive, value case-sensitive unless otherwise noted).

This seems to be a part of issue 266.

Best regards, Julian