Subject: Section 2.7.1 of draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-18

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 23:56:52 -0800

Hello,

 From what I understand, the updated version of Section 3.2.2 in RFC 
2616 is currently Section 2.7.1 of 
draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-18.  From RFC 2616:

   "The use of IP addresses in URLs SHOULD be avoided whenever
    possible (see RFC 1900 [24])."

And in draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-18:

   "If the host identifier is provided as an IP literal or IPv4 address,
    then the origin server is any listener on the indicated TCP port at
    that IP address."

Was the requirement to avoid IP addresses dropped?

Regards,
-sm

P.S. I am not raising this as an issue.

---

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 00:15:58 -0800

On Jan 8, 2012, at 11:56 PM, SM wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> From what I understand, the updated version of Section 3.2.2 in RFC 2616 is currently Section 2.7.1 of draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-18.  From RFC 2616:
> 

Yes, I believe that was intentional because that advice had nothing
to do with HTTP (and is not a real requirement anyway). 

....Roy

---

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 08:57:19 +0000

>Was the requirement to avoid IP addresses dropped?

Isn't this simply pointing out that there usually are multiple domains
served by a single HTTP server ?

-- 
Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
[email-masked]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe    
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 01:40:23 -0800

>served by a single HTTP server ?

Yes.

Roy answered my question ( 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2012JanMar/0034.html 
).  It was more about IPv6 than HTTP.  IPv4 addresses are sometimes 
used in application protocols.  That can be a problem for IPv6 
deployment as the "fix" entails a change in DNS and where the URI is used.

Regards,
-sm