Subject: Content-Disposition in PUT/POST

From: Arnaud Quillaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:28:19 -0800

Hello,

The content-disposition header is defined in RFC6266:
<<

    The Content-Disposition response header field is used to convey
    additional information about how to process the response payload, and
    also can be used to attach additional metadata, such as the filename
    to use when saving the response payload locally.

This definition was inherited from RFC2616 and remains silent on the use 
of this header in HTTP *requests* although it seems like a natural fit 
in operations like WebDAV PUT (or AtomPUB POST). Is this an oversight ?

Thanks,

Arnaud Quillaud

PS: it looks like some WebDAV-like services are actually accepting this 
header in requests already (see 
https://developers.google.com/storage/docs/reference-headers#contentdisposition 
or 
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/2006-03-01/API/RESTObjectPUT.html 
).

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:11:09 +0100

> in operations like WebDAV PUT (or AtomPUB POST). Is this an oversight ?

Not really; RFC 2616 defines it as response header as well.

> http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/2006-03-01/API/RESTObjectPUT.html

We could relax the definition in RFC6266bis. In the meantime, 
experiments like the ones you mentioned are definitively useful.

Best regards, Julian