Subject: obs-fold

From: Zhong Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 18:14:36 -0600

p1 section 3.2.1.

   HTTP senders MUST NOT produce messages that include
   line folding (i.e., that contain any #field-content# that matches the
   obs-fold rule)

shouldn't that be

   HTTP senders MUST NOT produce messages that include
   line folding (i.e., that contain any #header-field# that matches the
   obs-fold rule)

instead?

     OWS            = *( SP / HTAB / obs-fold )
     BWS            = OWS

     header-field   = field-name ":" OWS field-value BWS
     field-name     = token
     field-value    = *( field-content / obs-fold )
     field-content  = *( HTAB / SP / VCHAR / obs-text )

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 06:09:12 +0100

>     field-content  = *( HTAB / SP / VCHAR / obs-text )

I looked at this earlier, but tools.ietf.org is down for me currently. I
take it this is about obs-fold in the OWS preceding field-value? I do a-
gree there is something not right here, but I am unsure if this is about
the grammar or the "any ... that matches", the latter for instance could
mean "an abstract syntax tree generated from the formal grammar where
one of the nodes is..." versus "a whole <production> that matches ...".
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:00:53 +0100

>       field-content  = *( HTAB / SP / VCHAR / obs-text )

Minimally, this is phrased confusingly. Not being sure what the best fix 
is, I opened a ticket: 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/335>

Best regards, Julian