Subject: Fwd: Protocol Action: 'Additional HTTP Status Codes' to Proposed Standard (draft-nottingham-http-new-status-04.txt)

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 21:29:51 +0100

(FYI)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Additional HTTP Status Codes' to Proposed 
Standard (draft-nottingham-http-new-status-04.txt)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:11:23 -0800
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Additional HTTP Status Codes'
   (draft-nottingham-http-new-status-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-http-new-status/

Technical Summary

    This document specifies additional HyperText Transfer Protocol
    (HTTP) status codes for a variety of common situations, to improve
    interoperability and avoid confusion when other, less precise status
    codes are used.

    This work has been completed outside the HTTPBIS WG because
    the HTTPBIS charter was scoped tightly to avoid distractions, such
    as new status codes.

Working Group Summary

    This document is not the product of a working groups, although it
    has been reviewed by participants in the HTTPBIS WG and
    APPSAWG WG.

    There has been some controversy about the practice of intercepting
    proxies in HTTP, which caused the need for status code 511 ("Network
    Authentication Required").  However, there is agreement that a code
    is needed so that clients can react appropriately to requests for
    authentication that they receive from intermediaries.

Document Quality

    The document has been reviewed by participants in the HTTPBIS WG
    and APPSAWG WG.  It is deemed to be of good quality.

    The status of implementation is unknown, however these codes are
    are relatively straightforward to implement and deploy because they
    are consistent with the default handling of 4xx and 5xx series codes
    in HTTP.

Personnel

    The Document Shepherd is Julian Reschke.

    The Responsible Area Director is Peter Saint-Andre.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce