Subject: FYI: CORS Last Call

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 12:23:36 -0500

HTTP folks may be interested in the Last Call for the W3C's CORS:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-security/2012Apr/0001.html

<personal_note>
  I've made several comments to the various WGs this specification has resided in over the years; I feel it's a bad design for the Web and needlessly complex and chatty. I'll likely be making similar comments in their LC period. I doubt anything will change, however.
</personal_note>

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 17:33:50 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, Mark Nottingham wri
tes:

><personal_note>
>  I've made several comments to the various WGs this specification has =
>resided in over the years; I feel it's a bad design for the Web and =
>needlessly complex and chatty. I'll likely be making similar comments in =
>their LC period. I doubt anything will change, however.
></personal_note>

Feel free to add my name to your protests.

-- 
Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
[email-masked]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe    
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:33:32 -0700

I would certainly have to agree with your personal note...
unfortunately, as you point out, the WGs working on it haven't really
been that open to opposing opinions on it. Unfortunate but sadly not
surprising. I largely intend to just ignore it for as long as
possible.

---

From: Dirk Pranke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:35:59 -0700

Having followed the CORS spec (and contributed to it on occasion) over
the past couple years, I don't recall seeing any comments from any of
you, or seeing any particularly strong opposition to it, apart from
the people proposing UMP as an alternative to avoid the ambient
authority issues.

Given that (I believe) every major browser is shipping at least
partial if not full support for the spec already, I believe this ship
has long since sailed, but I at least would be interested in why you
think it's a bad design or how you would do things differently. Is
there some list archive where I should look for your comments, or do
you mind reposting them?

-- Dirk

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 13:43:04 -0500

These were the easiest to find:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2006Apr/0295.html
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-appformats/2008Jan/0226.html
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0643.html
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010OctDec/0737.html

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/