Subject: Improving page retrieval time

From: Robert Mattson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 10:12:29 +1000 (EST)

Dear Working Group,

To reduce page retrieval time over asymmetric client side networks, like the 
ADSL links currently common to Australia I developed and examined an extension 
to HTTP. This extension, known as HTTP-MPLEX, includes request compression and 
response multiplexing features that help reduce page retrieval time and web 
object retrieval time and maintain an rfc822-type message format.

While a number of publications examine the behaviour of the enhancement with a 
limited number of web pages, my thesis examines the protocol with 200 web pages 
in different simulated networking environments. The extension is detailed in my 
thesis and publications are available here [1], it is the most recent reference 
available.

Having stumbled upon this mailing list while surfing the web one evening and 
also having seen discussion around a bit-oriented HTTP replacement and issues 
around multiplexing responses both at the transport and application layer, I 
thought I would tip my previous work into the pool. Some of the people on this 
list may already know about the extension, so I apologise if the suggestions it 
contains have previously been considered.

Also, to note, having had to leave academia to face the economic realities of 
modern life, it may take me a short while to respond to email.

[1] http://www.mattson.com.au/robert/index.php?Menu=Research

Sincerely,
Rob Mattson, MACS (CT), MIEEE

Email: [email-masked]