Subject: Re: #160: Redirects and non-GET methods

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 21:01:53 +0200

On 2011-11-02 17:47, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2011-09-01 11:33, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> On 2011-08-31 16:30, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> ...
>>> See <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/160>; feedback
>>> appreciated.
>>> ...
>>
>> Applied with minor fixes in
>> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/1428>.
>> ...
>
> OK, so this in in draft 17.
>
> In the meantime, the Chrome developers work to address this in release
> 17, see <https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=56373>, and
> a bugfix for Firefox is currently being discussed
> (<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=598304>, feedback that
> would help this progress appreciated).
>
> Best regards, Julian
> ...

Seven months have passed, and we have updated tests 
(<http://www.mnot.net/javascript/xmlhttprequest/> and 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc/httpredirects/>), and updated test results:

- Firefox has been fixed to only rewrite POST to GET, and the fix is 
part of Firefox 13, to be released tomorrow.

- Chrome (as mentioned above) has been doing the right thing since 
version 17.

- IE has been doing the right thing forever; there's only a small glitch 
with respect to a HEAD request redirected by 303 being rewritten to GET 
(see <http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc/httpredirects/#t303HEAD>)

- Safari still rewrites non-POST methods.

- So does apparently Opera, although I have problems running the tests, 
sometimes causing test failures because XHR doesn't see response headers 
(win7, 64bit), sometimes crashing the browser (win7, 32bit).

- Konqueror has test execution problems as well.

...this means that at least on the desktop, the vast majority of browser 
installations will do the right thing as of tomorrow.

Best regards, Julian