Subject: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-melnikov-httpbis-scram-auth-00.txt

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:33:26 +0100

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	I-D Action: draft-melnikov-httpbis-scram-auth-00.txt
Date: 	Mon, 11 Jun 2012 06:16:34 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Salted Challenge Response (SCRAM) HTTP Authentication Mechanism
	Author(s)       : Alexey Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-melnikov-httpbis-scram-auth-00.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2012-06-11

    The secure authentication mechanism most widely deployed and used by
    Internet application protocols is the transmission of clear-text
    passwords over a channel protected by Transport Layer Security (TLS).
    There are some significant security concerns with that mechanism,
    which could be addressed by the use of a challenge response
    authentication mechanism protected by TLS.  Unfortunately, the HTTP
    Digest challenge response mechanism presently on the standards track
    failed widespread deployment, and have had success only in limited
    use.

    This specification describes a family of HTTP authentication
    mechanisms called the Salted Challenge Response Authentication
    Mechanism (SCRAM), which addresses the security concerns and meets
    the deployability requirements.  When used in combination with TLS or
    an equivalent security layer, a mechanism from this family could
    improve the status-quo for application protocol authentication.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melnikov-httpbis-scram-auth-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melnikov-httpbis-scram-auth-00.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-melnikov-httpbis-scram-auth/