Subject: run HTTP over UDP(HTTPP)

From: tom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 15:44:12 +0800

How are you thinking about run HTTP over UDP(scheme as HTTPP), and  bring
P2P Web?

node-httpp is the part of HTTPP as server likely.

We opensource it on github:
https://github.com/InstantWebP2P/node-httpp

the sister project is to run HTTP over UDP in Web browsers, that's not
ready yet.

But Node.js supports both HTTP client and server naturally, it's worth to
try carry HTTP traffic over UDP using node-httpp as well.

Best regards
  Tom

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:47:20 +0100

When I was younger, there was an initiation rite that everybody went through on the way to becoming a serious programmer:
You had to invent your own "readable" syntax for LISP, because lots of silly parentheses obviously wasn't the way to go.
You typically used your own invention for a while, and then, when you grew more mature, you noticed how stupid that whole thing was.

Now, not that many people talk about LISP any more as the next big thing; S-expressions have been mostly replaced by XML.
For a while, this kind of initiation rite then reappeared as inventing "readable" syntaxes for XML.
Of course, by now not that many people talk about XML any more...  
Readable JSON syntaxes anyone?  OK, YAML actually did stick.  So that one is over, too.

Nowadays, the next big thing seems to be "inventing" ways to run HTTP over UDP.
Or, really, inventing crappy transport protocols over UDP for the sole purpose of running HTTP on top of them.

Is there anything we need to add to the computer science curricula?

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:10:28 +0000

--------
In message <[email-masked]>, Carsten Bormann writ

>Is there anything we need to add to the computer science curricula?

A course in non-dogmatism when it comes to protocol design ?

I'd be very interested to hear your feedback once you've completed it.

-- 
Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
[email-masked]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe    
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

---

From: tom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:55:07 +0800

Grüße, Carsten:

Appreciate your feedback. "run HTTP over UDP" is not a news. Since about in
2000 year, some people has been trying to implement it.

Why can HTTP run over TCP only? No, HTTP just need a reliable transport.

HTTPP didn't mean run HTTP over raw UDP. We leverage UDT(UDP-based
transport) - http://udt.sourceforge.net/.

 And, HTTPP wanna challenge the Traditional "HTTP over TCP" things in a
Client / Server arch.

 HTTPP intends to bring P2P Web. Nowadays, the mobile device has been a
powerful computer, like smart phone, tablet, etc. Why we only run a client
App on it, Why we not run a network server/service on it?

 So far, HTTPP is the basis of iWebPP (Instant Web P2P arch), that we did
announce before.

Best regards
  Tom

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> When I was younger, there was an initiation rite that everybody went
> through on the way to becoming a serious programmer:
> You had to invent your own "readable" syntax for LISP, because lots of
> silly parentheses obviously wasn't the way to go.
> You typically used your own invention for a while, and then, when you grew
> more mature, you noticed how stupid that whole thing was.
>
> Now, not that many people talk about LISP any more as the next big thing;
> S-expressions have been mostly replaced by XML.

---

From: tom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 19:12:33 +0800

Grüße, Carsten:

 And, HTTPP do not want to challenge the Traditional "HTTP over TCP" things
in a Client / Server arch.

Best regards
  Tom