Subject: Design Issue: Which frames are allowed to reference Stream ID #0 and which aren't?

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:28:29 -0700

One can look at the various frame types and determine which are
obviously intended for use with streams and which are for the session
but we need to be clear on exactly what happens when various types of
frames reference Stream ID #0.

For instance, if a DATA frame reference Stream ID #0, I would say that
the result MUST be a protocol error. (Likewise with HEADERS frames)

Likewise, what exactly does it mean for a PING Frame to specify a
Stream Identifier? Or are all PING Frames required to use Stream ID
#0?

- James

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:38:59 -0700

> the result MUST be a protocol error. (Likewise with HEADERS frames)

DATA on stream 0 is an error, we need to make that clear.

> Stream Identifier? Or are all PING Frames required to use Stream ID

PING on non-stream 0 is an error.  The problem there is that PING
demands a PONG and you cannot know whether it is possible for the peer
to do that.

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:31:47 -0700

Ok, I have a pending push request that addresses these items.