Subject: WGLC: p5 multiple Range headers

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 16:48:15 -0400

Hi All,

Per 
https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/draft-ietf-httpbis/latest/p1-messaging.html#field.order 
multiple Range header fields aren't allowed due to the field value 
containing more than just a comma-separated list (bytes-unit).  That 
being said, there was a discussion on the [email-masked] 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2009Sep/0064.html> 
list a few years ago about multiple Range header fields, and in that 
thread Yves didn't state that multiple Range header fields are prohibited.

I'm wondering if this was an oversight or if multiple Range header 
fields actually appear in the wild and clients expect it to work. If 
they are allowed, then the Range header needs to be called out as an 
exception in p1.  If not, was this thread just an isolated instance of 
confusion, or is it worth adding text to p5 to explicitly state that 
only one Range header is allowed?

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 19:38:39 +0200

> thread Yves didn't state that multiple Range header fields are prohibited.

Well, he should have :-)

> only one Range header is allowed?

I believe it was just an instance of confusion, and I'd prefer that the 
spec doesn't restate things all over the place...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 14:14:02 -0400

On 4/9/13 1:38 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> I believe it was just an instance of confusion, and I'd prefer that 
> the spec doesn't restate things all over the place..

OK.  I had already made the decision to support only one Range header in 
my CalDAV/CardDAV server.