Subject: #469: definition of "private"

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 17:16:23 +1000

Just finishing up on this editorial issue - one of the bits of feedback I gave was:

> 1.2 "private cache" is defined as being "dedicated to a single user." I suspect this should be "... single user agent" to be in keeping with our separation from user concerns.

Any issue with making that change?

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 11:02:22 -0700

This is good.

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 11:54:51 -0700 (PDT)

I prefer "single user" as "single user agent" would preclude a shared desk 
top proxy supporting multiple user agents as one example. Privacy is a
user concern and should be expressed that way.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:03:26 -0700

> user concern and should be expressed that way.

I'd finagle that - the proxy is the user agent in that case.

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 17:00:29 -0700 (PDT)

> I'd finagle that - the proxy is the user agent in that case.

True, but that was the cleanest example of a private but shared cache.
Various browsers have options for sharing cookies with / from other
browsers. I don't see a reason to forbid Firefox from sharing a single
end user cache with IE or Chrome or etc.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 10:02:35 +1000

OK, let's leave it as is; the delineation is fuzzy and complex, and we shouldn't add precision unless it's accurate.

Cheers,