Subject: redundancy with WINDOW_UPDATE and SETTINGS_FLOW_CONTROL_OPTIONS

From: William Chan (陈智昌) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 15:56:14 -0300

There's a WINDOW_UPDATE flag (
http://http2.github.io/http2-spec/#EndFlowControl) for ending flow control
for the session or individual stream. There's also
a SETTINGS_FLOW_CONTROL_OPTIONS for ending flow control for the session and
for all streams.

I think all these knobs are useful, but the redundancy is unnecessary. How
about we make SETTINGS_FLOW_CONTROL_OPTIONS specific to stream flow control
and remove the session flag? To disable flow control for the session, use
WINDOW_UPDATE with the end flow control flag and stream id 0.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 16:10:41 -0700

You can't preemptively end flow control for new streams with WINDOW_UPDATE.

On 8 May 2013 11:56, William Chan (陈智昌) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> There's a WINDOW_UPDATE flag
> (http://http2.github.io/http2-spec/#EndFlowControl) for ending flow control
> for the session or individual stream. There's also a
> SETTINGS_FLOW_CONTROL_OPTIONS for ending flow control for the session and
> for all streams.
>

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 16:27:17 -0700

OK, this is the 0x2 bit on the setting.  That's something that I
originally didn't include.  I can't remember why it was added, but we
might be able to drop that.