Subject: Re: Design Issue: Separate HEADERS and PRIORITY Frames, Eliminate HEADERS+PRIORITY

From: William Chan (陈智昌) <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 12:16:51 -0700

As at least Google and Mozilla have plans to begin play around with
reprioritization in SPDY now-ish, I've submitted a pull request that adds
the PRIORITY frame: https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/pull/111.

I'm in no hurry in driving forward the rest of the changes, so I have
elected not to bother with them and leave a more eager contributor to take
on this task :) And if anyone cares to bikeshed my pull request's text, I
care not. I just want something I can commit to the SPDY/4 spec, so it'd be
great to get something in the http2 spec for this frame.

Cheers.

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 8:31 AM, James M Snell <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> On May 26, 2013 7:31 AM, "Jeff Pinner" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > So since we have frame specific flags now can we just use them and drop
> to duplicated frame type so that only one frame is used for stream creation?
> >
> > 1. remove frame 0x08 HEADERS as duplicated
> > 2. rename frame 0x01 from HEADERS+PRIORITY to HEADERS and indicate that
> it is the only frame that may create a stream
> > 3. add flag 0x02 PRIORITY to the HEADERS frame to indicate the first 4
> bytes of the frame contain a priority field
> > 4. add flag 0x04 CONTINUED to the HEADERS frame to indicate that the
> headers block is split across a second frame which must be the next frame
> sent on the wire
> > 5. add a frame 0x02 PRIORITY that is 4 bytes long and must be sent only
> on open streams
> >
> > a slightly different shade of shed :)
>
> +1... This works for me.
>