Subject: HTTP header compression benchmark

From: Christian Grothoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 19:54:22 +0200

Dear all,

I've recently published a benchmark for HTTP header compression based on captured
real-world HTTP traffic data.  The benchmark contains five sets of approximately
one million HTTP request and response headers.  Details on how the data was
collected, preprocessed, C code (generation, preprocessing and sample compressions
using gzip and bzip2), as well as some statistical data on the benchmarks are
all available at https://gnunet.org/httpbenchmark/.

It should be noted that these are not just raw HTTP headers, but request sequences.
So the benchmark will allow you to assess the performance of compression algorithms
that compress traffic for an entire SPDY/HTTP 2.0 session (differences, etc.) and
not just process each header in isolation.

I hope this will be useful for informed discussions on HTTP 2.0 header compression;
I'll be available for discussions on the benchmark at IETF 87.

Happy hacking!

Christian

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:57:40 -0400

Christian,

This looks like a great resource, thank you for generating it!

> I'll be available for discussions on the benchmark at IETF 87.

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:56:44 +0200

Thanks, Christian.

Could you give a short (~15 minute) summary at our Wednesday meeting?

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Christian Grothoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:20:38 +0200

Sure.  However, 15 m is probably a bit much, I'll shoot for less (but
I don't know how Q&A-hungry the group will be ;-)).

Happy hacking!

Christian