Subject: Default Stream Priority?

From: "Kulkarni, Saurabh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 17:00:15 -0500

Hello,

I had a question about default stream priority?

When a stream state changes from "idle" to "open", what is the default priority of the stream? In case there is no default, are HEADERS frame mandated to have PRIORITY bit set when they trigger this state change?

Thanks,
Saurabh

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:10:15 -0700

On 19 July 2013 15:00, Kulkarni, Saurabh <[email-masked]> wrote:
> When a stream state changes from "idle" to "open", what is the default
> priority of the stream? In case there is no default, are HEADERS frame
> mandated to have PRIORITY bit set when they trigger this state change?

This is answered in Section 5.3:

   Unless explicitly specified in the HEADERS frame (Section 6.2) during
   stream creation, the default stream priority is 2^30.

That is, equivalent to a HEADERS frame with a 32-bit priority field of
0x80000000, if that helps any.

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:28:39 -0700 (PDT)

Ummm, I think that 2^30 is 0x40000000

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:33:31 -0700

> Ummm, I think that 2^30 is 0x40000000

That will teach me to make statements like that without my calculator
on.  You are right, of course.

---

From: "Ludin, Stephen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:14:46 -0500

I want to make certain I am reading this correctly (section 6.9.1):  If a
receiver has not disabled flow control, it is responsible for sending two
WINDOW_UPDATE frames to maintain flow: one for the stream and one for the
connection.  Correct?

Thanks,

-stephen

---

From: William Chan (陈智昌) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:19:12 -0700

Yes.

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:29:16 -0700

And they need not be sent at the same time.

-=R