Subject: [#156] Pushing HEAD

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:53:28 -0700

James tried to sneak in the ability to use server push for HEAD in
#151. I backed out those changes, but I do think that we do want to do
this. I just need a clear signal that we have consensus to add the
feature.

p.s. this wont make it into -04
p.p.s. github is super-unicorny today \:-(

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:03:28 -0700

Yes, we want to be able to do that!
-=R

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:04:39 -0700

Let's please not accuse anyone of trying to sneak anything in.  It was my
understanding based on conversations at the interim that the expectation
for head requests and push was different.  If that impression was mistaken,
then my apologies. There were a significant number of edits to make in a
short period of time.  A simple heads up would suffice and I'd back that
back out.  That is why we have a review process after all :).

In any case,  that said,  as a client implementer, if I received push
promise on a head request response,  I'll likely universally refuse the
pushed streams unless I know those are also treated as implicit head
requests. I don't want any content returned at all when I do a head
request.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:11:17 -0700

On 1 July 2013 17:04, James M Snell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> A simple heads up would suffice and I'd back that back out.  That is why we
> have a review process after all :).

I apologize.  I did mention this in my review.

Your edits were both significant, and extremely useful.  I
particularly like the examples, which I think clear up a lot of
ambiguities.

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:13:16 -0700

I had not seen mention of it in the review, my apologies for missing
that item. In the future, if there are any items like that appearing
in a pull request I am more than happy to make the additional edit
before merging the pull request. It is not my intention to ever
"sneak" anything into the spec.