Subject: Issue # 164: HTTP Method Case

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:43:42 -0700

https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/164

Currently, HTTP Methods in 1.1 are all uppercase. The preference for
2.0 so far appears to have those represented using all lowercase. The
HTTP Mapping currently does not redefine the HTTP Method header to use
lowercase values. Need to clarify whether or not HTTP methods in 2.0
are case sensitive or not.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:18:48 -0700

On 3 July 2013 10:43, James M Snell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Need to clarify whether or not HTTP methods in 2.0

HTTP/2.0 is actually silent on the issue.  And I believe that it can remain so.

HTTP/2.0 makes header field names lowercase (and mandates that), which
is fine because that has a performance and compression advantage.  A
similar argument could be made for any header field value, :method not
being particularly special in this regard.

In this specific case, if we were to mandate a particular case, I'd
advocate uppercase.  I believe that some code breaks if it receives a
'get' instead of a 'GET', so uppercase would have to be the choice.

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:22:31 -0700

I agree with Martin-- this data should be as it was in HTTP/1.1

Reasoning:
1) It works.
2) The methods are so very extremely likely to already be represented in
the compressor, that we shouldn't much care about what is in them anyway.

-=R

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:25:48 -0700

Appendix A.1 of the current header compression draft shows "get" and
not "GET" as the pre-filled value...

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-header-compression-00#appendix-A.1

Regardless, this is not a compressor issue. It's a http semantic layer issue.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Roberto Peon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 2) The methods are so very extremely likely to already be represented in the
> compressor, that we shouldn't much care about what is in them anyway.
>
> -=R
>
>

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:27:03 -0700

The compressor needs updating, though :)
-=R

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM, James M Snell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> the
> > On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Martin Thomson <
> [email-masked]>
> > wrote:
> >>