Subject: Dealing with Invalid UTF-8

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:12:29 -0700

https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/232

The current header compression draft states that header field values
are UTF-8. However, the spec says nothing about how to deal with
overlong encodings, invalid UTF-8 octet sequences or valid UTF-8
sequences that encode invalid Unicode codepoints.

I recommend stating that any of these conditions ought to result in an
error. An encoder MUST NOT output any of these; and a decoder ought to
signal a connection error if encountered.

- James

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 11:30:40 +0200

> signal a connection error if encountered.

...whether this is an issue or not depends on what we decide we respect 
to whether field values are octet sequences or strings...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 09:31:04 -0700

Yup.

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:30 AM, Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>wrote:

>> https://github.com/http2/**http2-spec/issues/232<https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/232>
>>
> ...whether this is an issue or not depends on what we decide we respect to
> whether field values are octet sequences or strings...
>
> Best regards, Julian
>
>
>