Subject: [#197] the extra stuff in GOAWAY

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:13:21 -0700

https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/197

Julian raised this issue, and it's been marked as editorial, but I'm
thinking that something design-ish needs to be done.

"Endpoints MAY append opaque data to the payload of any GOAWAY frame.
Additional debug data is intended for diagnostic purposes only and
carries no semantic value. Debug data MUST NOT be persistently stored,
since it could contain sensitive information."

The objection is to the last sentence, which smells like an RFC 6919
"MUST (BUT WE KNOW YOU WON'T)", parenthetical omitted.

The more I think about this, the more I think that this requirement is
silly.  Yes, there might be sensitive information, but there's no way
that someone won't be logging this.  That's kinda the point.

I think that we could instead say the exact opposite:  "Debug data
might be logged or redistributed, therefore it MUST NOT contain any
unprotected sensitive data."

If an implementation wants to put some risque data in there, it can
use its public key to encipher the debug data, or something like that.

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:31:00 -0700

Sounds better to me.

That the server must adequately protect sensitive information is what we
are attempting to express, one way or another.

-=R